Alex Blair leads Xavier and ranks 10th in the BIG EAST in blocks, averaging 1.00 b/s.
Oct. 3, 2013
Seton Hall (5-7, 0-1 BIG EAST) will come to Cintas Center for a 7 p.m. match against the Musketeers on Friday night. The Pirates lost their BIG EAST opener to St. John's in five sets. The match will be broadcast on GoXavier.com with commentators Mike Schmaltz and former Xavier volleyball player Shannon Voors.
The Musketeers then welcome the 22nd-ranked Bluejays at 4 p.m. on Saturday. Creighton (9-3) hasn't played since a five-set victory over Wichita State on Sept. 22. CU was picked ahead of Xavier and Marquette to win the conference.
St. John's enters the weekend with a 12-5 mark, including 1-0 in the BIG EAST after defeating Seton Hall last weekend. The Red Storm have won four of their last five matches entering the weekend.
Bessler Tabbed BIG EAST Rookie of the Week...
Xavier's Abbey Bessler was named the BIG EAST Rookie of the Week on Monday after helping give Xavier its first BIG EAST victory in any sport with a win at Butler. The freshman outside hitter pounded out 20 kills with 12 digs for her team-leading eighth double-double of the season. She connected on a scorching .415 hitting percent against the Bulldogs, a team that entered the match ranked sixth in the nation in blocks.
Notes of Interest...
- Xavier's 3-1 victory over Butler on Friday, Sept. 27 will go down as the school's first victory in BIG EAST Conference action.
- The Musketeers rank second in the BIG EAST in both kills (14.23 k/s) and assists (13.33 a/s).
- Alex Smith leads the conference in hitting percentage at .418 (140 k - 25 e - 275 att). Joining Smith on the list is Aubree Smith at ninth with a .339 attack percent.
- Abbey Bessler is seventh in the conference in total kills at 3.37 k/s. The freshman is also averaging 2.85 d/s.
- Averaging 10.83 assists-per-set, Aubree Smith ranks third in the conference. Smith enters the weekend needing just 83 assists to eclipse 3,000 for her career.
- Sarah Brown is on pace to become the 11th member of Xavier's 1,000-1,000 Club. Following Xavier's match against Butler, the senior outside hitter has accumulated 957 kills and 909 digs in her career. She is averaging 2.50 k/s and a personal-best 3.48 d/s.