Xavier head coach Mike Johnson and the Musketeers will host Miami (Ohio) Tuesday night at Cintas Center.
Sep 9, 2013
CINCINNATI - Xavier volleyball hosts Miami (Ohio) in a 7 p.m. tilt on Tuesday evening at Cintas Center. The Musketeers are coming off a second-place showing in the Duquesne/Robert Morris Invitational and sport a 4-2 record, while the RedHawks sport a perfect 5-0 record.
Xavier has been led by senior Alex Smith, who leads the BIG EAST in hitting percentage (.500) and ranks in the top 10 in kills (3.14 k/s). The Musketeers have been a balanced team in the early going, receiving significant contributions on the court from senior Sarah Brown, juniors Aubree Smith and Alex Blair, sophomores Makayla Agin and Lauren Metzger and freshmen Abbey Bessler and Emily McIlquham.
Miami enters the match following a come-from-behind five-set win against Northern Kentucky, a team Xavier defeated 3-1 earlier this season. The RedHawks are paced by Jenny Ingle, who averages 3.28 k/s.
In a five-set thriller, Xavier took last season's meeting between the two schools in Oxford, Ohio. Stephanie Vorherr broke Xavier's all-time digs record in the meeting, and Amé White registered a double-double with career highs in both kills (19) and digs (19).
Notes of Interest...
- Xavier sits at 4-2 overall after finishing second in both the Xavier Invitational and the Duquesne/Robert Morris Invitational, with a 2-1 record in each event.
- The Musketeers lead the BIG EAST in both kills (14.86 k/s) and assists (13.86 a/s) after the first two weeks of play. They also rank second in hitting percentage (.285).
- Alex Smith leads the conference in hitting percentage at .500 (66 k - 9 e - 114 att). Joining Smith on the list is Aubree Smith in sixth with a .346 attack percent and Makayla Agin with a .317 percent in ninth.
- Alex Smith is seventh in the BIG EAST in total kills with a 3.14 k/s average and Abbey Bessler is ninth at 3.05 k/s.
- Averaging 11.33 assists-per-set, Aubree Smith is second in the conference.
- Alex Blair (3rd, 0.43), Makayla Agin (6th, .35) and Emily McIlquham (7th, .33) are in the top 10 in the BIG EAST in aces-per-set.