Alex Blair and the rest of the Musketeers open the 2013 season against No. 7 Michigan on Friday night.
Aug 29, 2013
CINCINNATI - Xavier will host No. 7 Michigan, Clemson and Northern Kentucky in the Xavier Invitational this weekend at Cintas Center. Matches begin on Friday morning and conclude Saturday evening.
The Musketeers open their season with a 7 p.m. meeting with the nationally-ranked Wolverines on Friday evening. XU's match will be the third of the day, following Michigan versus Clemson at noon and Clemson versus NKU at 5 p.m.
Xavier is coming off of its fourth-straight 20-win season, while Michigan enters 2013 after a Final Four appearance last year.
Saturday's matches begin with Xavier and NKU at 11 a.m. and will be followed by Clemson and NKU at 1 p.m. The invitational concludes with Saturday's 4 p.m. tilt between Xavier and Clemson.
Notes of Interest...
- Eight players from last season's squad return for 2013: Alex Smith, Sarah Brown, Aubree Smith, Alex Blair, Kelsey Dunaway, Lauren Metzger, Makayla Agin and Sofia Peterson.
- Abbey Bessler (Fr., OH), Mackenzi Humm (Fr., S), Emily McIlquham (Fr., DS), Alexis Newsome (Fr., MB) and Sariah Suryadevara (Jr., DS/L) joined the team this season.
- Alex Smith and Aubree Smith are leaving their mark on the program. Alex's .338 career hitting percentage ties Hall-of-Famer Sara Bachus as the best in program history. Aubree is also moving up the career charts for assists, ranking 9th with 2354 assists. Aubree needs just 22 assists to pass Tami Orr (2,375) to move into 8th.
- Senior outside hitter Sarah Brown is bidding to join the exclusive 1,000 kill-1,000 dig club. Brown has 827 kills and 728 digs in her career. She was named an AVCA Honorable Mention All-American in 2011.
- Xavier was picked third in the BIG EAST behind 2012 NCAA participants Creighton and Marquette.
- Alex Smith and Sarah Brown were both unanimous selections to the 2013 Preseason All-BIG EAST Team.