Andrea Wolf put up a tremendous fight in the finals of the BIG EAST Championships.
FLUSHING MEADOWS, N.Y. - In Xavier University's first season in the BIG EAST, women's tennis placed second in the BIG EAST Women's Tennis Championship presented by New York Life. DePaul won the match, 4-0.
The first point of the match was earned by DePaul through its quick doubles play. Alex Brinker and Sydney Liggins were down, 3-0, and earned a point to bring the match to, 4-1. Patricia Fargas and Ana Vladutu responded and ran away with the match, 8-1. Allyson Westling and Andrea Wolf dropped their match to Zanina Sufi and Rebecca Mitrea, 8-2. Cristina Di Lorenzo and Daniella Patton dropped their first game, but won the next two. It was back and forth, but with the other two matches finishing before them, the match was left unfinished, 6-3.
DePaul gained the second point of the match with Rebecca Mitrea's a victory over Lizzie Oosterbaan. Mitrea won the first set, 6-2, but Oosterbaan did not give up. Oosterbaan pushed Mirtea to a 7-5 score in the second set.
Brinker was defeated by Vladutu in straight sets, 6-1, 6-3, to give DePaul a 3-0 advantage over Xavier.
Wolf did not go down without a fight. She dropped the first set, 6-3, to Sufi, then came back and won the second, 6-2. In the third set, Wolf was down, 3-0, and came back to win the fourth game, 6-1. Sufi then pushed through and won the set and match for DePaul.
The team finishes the team with a 19-6 overall record and a 4-2 BIG EAST record. Seniors Westling and Wolf finish their career off at Xavier with this match. Westling recorded a singles record of 38-39 and doubles record of 63-49, while Wolf recorded a singles record of 73-45 and doubles record of 50-47.
1. Vladutu (DPU) tied with Liggins (XU), 3-6, 7-5
2. Fargas (DPU) def. Brinker (XU), 6-1, 6-3
3. Kling (DPU) leading DiLorenzo (XU), 6-1, 5-5
4. Lawson (DPU) leading Patton (XU), 6-3, 5-6
5. Sufi (DPU) def. Wolf (XU), 6-3, 2-6, 6-1
6. Mitrea (DPU), def. Lizzie Oosterbaan (XU), 6-2, 7-5
1. Ana Vladutu/Patricia Fargas (DPU) def. Alexandra Brinker/Sydney Liggins (XU), 8-1
2. Jasmin Kling/Kelsey Lawson (DPU) leading Cristina DiLorenzo/Daniella Patton (XU), 7-3
3. Zaina Sufi/Rebeca Mitrea (DPU) def. Ally Westling/Andrea Wolf (XU), 8-3
DePaul 4, Xavier 0
Xavier: 19-6, BIG EAST 4-2
DePaul: 22-3, BIG EAST 4-0
Order of Finish: Singles (6, 2, 5) Doubles (1, 3)