Freshman Sydney Liggins competed in her first BIG EAST Championship.
April 25, 2014
FLUSHING MEADOWS, N.Y. - The Xavier women's tennis team defeated Seton Hall, 4-0, Friday morning to advance in the BIG EAST Women's Tennis Championship presented by New York Life.
The morning started out with two doubles victories to give Xavier a 1-0 advantage over Seton Hall. Daniella Patton and Cristina Di Lorenzo defeated Madison Shoemaker and Julia Keenan, 8-6. Shortly behind them was Allyson Westling and Andrea Wolf who took the match from Alex Landert and Hannah Liljekvist, 8-4.
Wolf showed her strength by winning the first doubles point of the match over Shoemaker, 6-0, 6-3. Brinker dropped her match to Liljekvist, 6-3, 6-1. Patton and Liggins picked up the last two singles points. Patton defeated Julia Keenan, 6-2, 6-3, while Liggins came out on top of a highly competitive match, 6-1, 6-3. Xavier went 3-1 in singles competition.
Xavier plays Saturday morning at 9 a.m. against Marquette at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center. For match updates, follow @XavierGameDay and @XUTennis on Twitter.
1. Liggins (XU) def. Sher (SHU) 6-1, 6-3
2. Liljekvist (SHU) def. Brinker (XU) 6-3, 6-1
3. Di Lorenzo (XU) leading Portela (SHU) 7-5, 3-3, unfinished
4. Patton (XU) def. Keenan (SHU) 6-2, 6-4
5. Wolf (XU) def. Shoemaker (SHU) 6-0, 6-3
6. Oosterbaan (XU) tied with Landert (SHU) 6-3, 2-6, unfinished
1. Brinker/Liggins (XU) led Sher/Portela (SHU) 6-4, unfinished
2. Di Lorenzo/Patton (XU) def. Shoemaker/ Keenan (SHU) 8-6
3. Westling/Wolf (XU) def. Liljekvist/Landert (SHU) 8-4
Xavier 4, Seton Hall 1
Xavier: 18-5, BIG EAST 4-1
Seton Hall: 11-10, 2-3
Order of Finish: Singles (5, 2, 4, 1) Doubles (2, 3)