Caitlin Lawless won her first collegiate match on Thursday.
March 28, 2013
FAIRFIELD, Ohio - The Xavier women's tennis team picked up three singles victories but saw its winning streak come to an end as Cincinnati defeated XU in a 4-3 decision on Thursday at the Mercy Fairfield Health Plex.
"We just did not play a complete enough match today," head coach Eric Toth said. "When there is not a lot of separation it is the team that is able to sustain effort and execute better that usually comes out on top. Cincinnati was just better in that area today. Hopefully, our girls learn from this and we can finish the last month of the season strong and make a nice run at the end of the season A-10 tournament."
Pleiman needed three sets to pull out her third-straight victory and eighth in her last 10 matches. She defeated Jasmine Lee at the No. 1 singles spot after losing the second set and winning in a tie-breaker in the third.
Brinker put in minimal work as she cruised to her 15th-consecutive victory after earning her second A-10 Rookie of the Week honor on Tuesday. She knocked off Caitlin O'Gara in straight sets. Making an appearance for just the third time in dual matches Lawless won her first collegiate match at the No. 6 singles position.
Xavier was unable to secure a fourth victory at the singles position after dropping the doubles point to begin the match. The loss was the seventh one-point decision that XU has played in this season. The Musketeers are 5-2 in those contests.
The Musketeers return to conference play when it travels to New York City to face Fordham and Rhode Island next weekend.
Cincinnati 4, Xavier 3
1. Katie Pleiman (XU) def. Jasmine Lee (CIN) 6-1, 2-6, 7-6 (7-1)
2. Alex Brinker (XU) def. Caitlin O'Gara (CIN) 6-4, 6-1
3. Ashleigh Witte (CIN) def. Kally Alkire (XU) 6-3, 6-3
4. Kelly Poggensee-Wei (CIN) def. Daniella Patton (XU) 6-1, 6-1
5. Carly Wilson (CIN) def. Lizzie Oosterbaan (XU) 6-3, 6-4
6. Caitlin Lawless (XU) def. Kristina Georgieva (CIN) 6-3, 6-4
1. Katie Pleiman/Kally Alkire (XU) vs. Caitlin O'Gara/Jasmine Lee (CIN) 4-6, unfinished
2. Sierra Sullivan/Ashleigh Witte (CIN) def. Daniella Patton/Allyson Westling (XU) 8-3
3. Kristina Georgieva/Kelly Poggensee-Wei (CIN) def. Alex Brinker/Brooke Dennis (XU) 8-2
Cincinnati 7-7, 1-3 Big East
Xavier 12-5, 6-0 A-10