Lizzie Oosterbaan grabs a singles victory in Xavier's loss to Toledo.
March 15, 2014
CINCINNATI- Women's tennis dropped their first match of two this weekend to a highly competitive Toledo team, 4-3. This is the first lost in 10 matches for the Musketeers, ending their win streak that began on Feb. 1.
The match was very competitive for both teams. In singles, Xavier grabbed the first point with Sydney Liggins defeating Katelyn Nguyen, 6-2, 6-2. Toledo was then able to grab the next two singles points. Chrissy Coffman beat Alex Brinker, 6-4, 6-3, and Lexy Pitt beat Andrea Wolf, 6-4, 7-6 (4).
Daniella Patton was not able to secure the last singles point for Xavier. She dropped her match to Emily Mazzola, 3-6, 6-3, 6-1.
Toledo's doubles was able to grab the first two matches quickly leaving the third to a did not finish status. Lauren Thai and Bowman took the match from Allyson Westling and Wolf, 8-4, while Pitt and Mazolla did the same to Brinker and Liggins, 8-5.
"We started the doubles and singles well," states assistant coach Doug Matthews. "Toledo responded from behind and outplayed us when it counted. We're competing great, just need to play a little better in big moments tomorrow against Ball State."
Xavier is back in action Saturday, Mar. 15 on the road against Ball State at 1 p.m.
1. Coffman (UT) def. Brinker (XU) 6-4, 6-3
2. Liggins (XU) def. Nguyen (UT) 6-2, 6-2
3. Di Lorenzo (XU) def. Rygy 7-6 (4), 7-6 (3)
4. Mazola (UT) def. Patton (XU) 3-6, 6-3, 6-1
5. Pitt (UT) def. Wolf (XU) 6-4, 7-6 (4)
6. Oosterbaan (XU) def. Bowman 6-4, 6-4
1. Pitt/Mazzola (UT) def. Brinker/Liggins (XU) 8-5
2. Patton/Di Lorenzo (XU) led Nguyen/Rygh 6-3, Did Not Finish
3. Bowman/Thai (UT) def. Wolf/Westling 8-4
Toledo 4, Xavier 3
Xavier: 9-3, BIG EAST 1-0
Order of Finish: Singles (2, 1, 5, 3, 6, 4) Doubles (3, 1)