Sydney Liggins aided in Xavier's victory with a singles and doubles win.
March 5, 2014
BOCA RATON, Fla. - Xavier's women's tennis team defeated Davidson, 6-1, in their first match of their Florida trip while pushing through a slow start to secure the doubles point. With this win, Xavier extends their win streak to eight matches.
"We were really fortunate to win the doubles point today," said assistant coach Doug Matthews. "We were down 6-2 on one and 7-4 on two. Both teams did a good job of fighting back after slow starts. Court three was in control the entire match. Once we won that point we really relaxed and played much better. We will need a strong start tomorrow against a tough Florida Atlantic team."
With though doubles matches at the No. 1 and No. 2 positions, Alex Brinker, Sydney Liggins and Daniella Patton, Christina Di Lorenzo were able to come out on top despite a slow start. Brinker and Liggins defeated Brites Moniz-Soares and Elaina Cummer, 8-7 (3), while Patton and Di Lorenzo beat Nisha Crouser and Jenna Brunner, 8-7 (0).
In singles, Liggins, Di Lorenzo, Patton and Lizzie Oosterbaan all finished their matches in two sets giving Xavier four quick points in the match.
At the No. 1 spot, Moniz-Suares pushed Brinker to three sets, but Brinker was able to come out on top, 6-1, 3-6, 11-9.
With this win, Xavier extends their win streak to eight matches. The Musketeers are back in action Wednesday, March 5 against Florida Atlantic (3-5) at Patch Reef Tennis Center in Boca Raton, Fla. First serve scheduled for 1 p.m. E.T.
1. Brinker (XU) def. Moniz-Suares (DC) 6-1, 3-6, 11-9
2. Liggins (XU) def. Cummer (DC) 6-3, 6-1
3. Di Lorenzo (XU) def. Crouser (DC) 7-5, 6-2
4. Patton (XU) def. Stein (DC) 6-3, 6-2
5. Brunner (DC) def. Wolf (XU) 6-3, 7-5
6. Oosterbaan (XU) def. Hill (DC) 6-2, 6-3
1. Brinker/Liggins (XU) def. Moniz-Suarez/Cummer (DC) 8-7 (3)
2. Patton/DiLorenzo (XU) def. Crouser/Brunner (DC) 8-7 (0)
3. Wolf/Westling (XU) def. Stein/Hill (DC) 8-4
Xavier 6, Davidson 1
Xavier: 8-2, BIG EAST 1-0
Order of Finish: Singles (2, 4, 3, 6, 5, 1) Doubles (3, 1, 2)