Alex Brinker aids the team to victory with her singles match win.
Feb. 16, 2014
PHILADELPHIA, Pa - Women's tennis improves their record with a 5-2 road victory over Temple.
"Another impressive win for our girls," said head coach Eric Toth. "Temple has a good team and not a lot separates us. Our girls just continue to fight and compete every time out and the fact we were better in that area tonight was the difference."
The Musketeers came out strong in singles competition by winning the first four matches and dropping the last two. Cristina Di Lorenzo and Alex Brinker defeated their opponents, 6-3, 6-1 and 6-0, 6-3, respectively, at the No. 3 and No. 2 positions.
Following in their footsteps was Andrea Wolf, who was victorious in her match over Minami Okajima, 6-4, 6-4.
Finally, Sydney Liggins, competing at the No. 1 position, overcame Alicia Doms in a three-set match, 6-3, 1-6, 10-7, to give Xavier its fourth singles point.
The Musketeers currently hold a 4-2 record on the season and look to improve it with their first BIG EAST match against the Butler Bulldogs on Wednesday, Feb. 19. The match will be held at Western Tennis and Fitness Club with play slotted to start at 1 p.m.
1. Liggins (XU) def. Doms (TU) 6-3, 1-6, 10-7
2. Brinker (XU) def. Mavrina (TU) 6-0, 6-3
3. DiLorenzo (XU) def. Batey (TU) 6-3, 6-1
4. Nussaume (TU) def. Patton (XU) 2-6, 6-3, 6-4
5. Wolf (XU) d Okajima (TU) 6-4, 6-4
6. Karina (TU) d Oosterbaan (XU) 6-2, 6-7(4), 10-2
1. Breland/Karina (TU) led Brinker/Liggins (XU) 7-5, Did Not Finish
2. DiLorenzo/Patton (XU) def. Mavrina/Nussaume (TU) 8-4
3. Westling/Wolf (XU) def. Doms/Okajima (TU) 8-2
Xavier 5, Temple 2
Order of Finish: Singles (3, 2, 5, 1, 6, 4) Doubles (3, 2)