Allyson Westling and doubles partner Andrea Wolf aided the Musketeers in their victory over EKU.
Feb. 8, 2014
CINCINNATI- Women's tennis defeated the Colonials of Eastern Kentucky, 5-2, Firiday, Feb. 8 at home. The Musketeers improved their overall record to 2-2 with the win.
In singles competition, Xavier started off strong with a, 6-2, 6-3, win from Andrea Wolf at the No. 5 position. Alex Brinker was then defeated by Amandine Faouzi, 6-3, 6-2, but Lizzie Oosterbaan and Cristina Di Lorenzo were then able to pull out victories over their opponents, 6-2, 2-6, 10-4 and 2-6, 6-3, 10-5, respectively. After dropping the match at the No. 2 position, the Musketeers were then able to end singles competition with a victory. Daniella Patton defeated Milena Poffo, 7-5, 6-3.
The Musketeers took care of business in doubles. Allyson Westling and Wolf defeated Carmen Rodriguez and Marcela Jimenez, 6-2, and Sydney Liggins and Brinker beat Kristina Labeja and Faouzi, 6-2. With these two wins, the No. 2 position match was left to a did not finish status.
"Quality win for our girls tonight," said assistant coach Doug Matthews. "We are competing at a very high level right now. We need to keep working hard to get better, but the effort is there. EKU pushed us hard and it is great to see us win big points to pull the match out."
The team's next match is Friday, Feb. 14 in Philadelphia, Penn against St. Joseph's. Play is set to begin at 8 p.m.
1. Faouzi (EKU) def. Brinker (XU) 6-3, 6-2
2. Labeja (EKU) def. Liggins (XU) 4-6, 7-5, 12-10
3. Di Lorenzo (XU) def. Oscoz (EKU) 2-6, 6-3, 10-5
4. Patton (XU) def. Poffo (EKU) 7-5, 6-3
5. Wolf (XU) def. Gerritsen (EKU) 6-2, 6-3
6. Oosterbaan (XU) def. Rodriguez (XU) 6-2, 2-6, 10-4
1. Brinker/Liggins (XU) def. Faouzi/Labeja (EKU) 6-2
2. Patton Di Lorenzo (XU) and Oscoz/Poffo (EKU) 3-4, DNF
3. Westling/Wolf (XU) def. Rodriguez/Jimenez (EKU) 6-2
Xavier 5, Eastern Kentucky 2
Eastern Kentucky: 3-1
Order of Finish: Singles (5, 1, 6, 3, 2, 4) Doubles (3, 1, 2)