Jan. 28, 2007
RICHMOND, Ky. - The Xavier women's tennis team suffered a 7-0 decision at the hands of Indiana State on Saturday evening in Richmond, Ky. The Musketeers fell to 1-2 for the 2007 season with the loss, while the Sycamores improved to 3-0.
Xavier fell in all seven singles matches, with Kaitlyn Zinn and Alicia Papa both extending their matches to a tie-breaker. Both Papa and Zinn won their first sets, but Sarah Galparoli and Fadzai Masiyazi bounced back to win their second sets and pull out the tiebreaker.
For the freshman Zinn, it was her first defeat in singles as a collegiate player. Her undefeated streak ended at 10-0.
The three doubles matches also went Indiana State's way.
Xavier returns to action Saturday, Feb. 3 when the team hosts Sountern Illinois at 1 p.m. ET.
Indiana State 7, Xavier 0
1. Ariane Masschelein (INS) def. Jackie Vilines (XAV), 6-2, 6-0
2. Jennifer Migan (INS) def. Kara Courtney (XAV), 6-1, 6-0
3. Joanne Schickerling (INS) def. Jill Ducro (XAV), 6-3, 6-3
4. Sarah Galparoli (INS) def. Jeanette Feider (XAV), 6-3, 6-3
5. Fadzai Masiyazi (INS) def. Kaitlyn Zinn (XAV), 3-6, 6-4 (10-8)
6. Kelly Hamm (INS) def. Alicia Papa (XAV), 3-6, 6-3 (10-8)
1. Migan/Schickerling (INS) def. Vilinies/Courtney (XAV), 8-0
2. Masschelein/Hamm (INS) def. Ducro/Diedalis (XAV), 7-0 (XU default)
3. Galparoli/Masiyazi (INS) def. Feider/Lohner (XAV), 8-5.