Daniella Patton dropped her singles match to the 83rd-nationally-ranked singles player.
Jan. 25, 2014
CINCINNATI - Xavier women's tennis dropped its first 2014 spring season dual match to No. 40 Indiana. IU defeated XU, 7-0.
In singles competition, Alex Brinker faced the 73rd-ranked singles player, Katie Klyczek, and fell in two sets, 6-2, 6-1. Daniella Patton competed against the other nationally-ranked player on Indiana's roster; Sophie Garre currently sits at No. 86. Patton went down in straight sets, 6-1, 6-1. Sydney Liggins did not go down without a fight. She took Paula Gutierres to three sets before eventually falling, 0-6, 6-4, 10-7.
The doubles pairing of Patton and Cristina Di Lorenzo defeated Alecia Kauss and Shannon Murdy, 6-4, but the doubles points were already secured once their match had finished.
"IU played a good match today" said assistant coach Doug Matthews. "We competed well, but just got outplayed. This test will help us get ready for a tough Miami team tomorrow."
The team takes the court again Sunday, Jan. 26, in Hamilton, Ohio at the Riverside Athletic Club in a battle with Miami (Ohio). First serve is set for 4:30 p.m.
1. #73 Klyczek (IU) def. Brinker (XU) 6-2, 6-1
2. Kauss (IU) def. Liggins (XU) 0-6, 6-4, 10-7
3. Chupa (IU) def. Di Lorenzo (XU) 6-1, 6-1
4. #86 Garre (IU) def. Patton (XU) 6-1, 6-1
5. Gutierres (IU) def. Wolf (XU) 6-4, 6-4
6. Murdy (IU) def. Oosterbaan (XU) 6-4, 6-2
1. Chupa/Klyczek (IU) def. Brinker/Liggins (XU) 6-1
2. Patton/Di Lorenzo (XU) def. Kauss/Murdy (IU) 6-4
3. Fujimoto/Garre (IU) def. Wolf/Westling (XU) 6-0
Indiana 1-0, Nationally Ranked No. 40
Order of finish: Singles (3, 4, 1, 6, 5, 2) Doubles (3, 1, 2)