Dec. 31, 2013
Game #13 - Xavier (5-7, 0-0 BIG EAST) at DePaul (9-3, 0-0 BIG EAST)
Game Notes: Xavier Notes | DePaul Notes
Date: Wednesday, January 1, 2014
Time: 5:00 p.m. ET
City: Chicago, Ill.
Site: McGrath-Phillips Arena (3,000)
Live Stats: DePaulBlueDemons.com
Live Video: DePaulBlueDemons.com
Live Audio: GoXavier.com
Talent: Mike Schmaltz (P-B-B)
Twitter: @Xavier_WBB | @XavierGameday
Twitter Hashtags: #LetsGoX
Current Streak: L 3
Last 5: 2-3
Last 10: 4-6
Road Record: 1-2
vs. DePaul: 7th Meeting; DePaul leads 5-1
Up Next: vs. St. John’s - Jan. 4 (7:00 p.m. ET)
AT A GLANCE
The Musketeers will look to get back to their winning ways when they travel to Chicago to battle the Blue Demons of DePaul on Wednesday, Jan. 1. The first-ever BIG EAST matchup for XU is set to tip at 5 p.m. ET.
Following Wednesday night’s matchup with DePaul, the Blue and White will then have their first BIG EAST homestand. XU will host St. John’s (Jan. 4), Georgetown (Jan. 8) and Marquette (Jan. 11) over a seven-day period.
Xavier Head Coach: Brian Neal (Northern Kentucky ‘91)
Career Record: 176-38 (8th Season)
Record at Xavier: 5-7 (1st Season)
Head Coach: Doug Bruno (DePaul ‘73)
Career Record: 571-327 (30th Season)
Record at DePaul: 540-297 (28th Season)
@XAVIER_WBB STARTING 5 QUICK HITS
#3 Shatyra Hawkes (G)
• Set a career-high in points (27) at Michigan (Nov. 13)
• 6th in the BIG EAST in points per game (15.4)
• Named to the 2013 Paradise Jam All-Tournament team
#13 Ashley Wanninger (G)
• Scored a career-high 25 points vs. Austin Peay (Dec. 7)
• 20th in the BIG EAST in points per game (11.3)
• 8th in the BIG EAST in minutes per game (32.8)
• t-7th in the BIG EAST in 3-pointers made per game (1.8)
#35 Jenna Crittendon (G)
• Set a career-high in points (25) at Ohio (Nov. 10)
• 1st on the team and 9th in the BIG EAST in rebs. per game (7.3)
• Recorded her 2nd career double-double vs. Indiana (10 pts, 10 rebs)
#14 Briana Glover (F)
• Averaging 26.1 minutes per contest
• Shooting .369 from the field
• Scored a layup with 23 seconds left to force overtime at U-M (Nov. 13)
#23 Leah Schaefer (F)
• Tallied six points and three boards in her first collegiate game/start
• Finished with nine points and nine rebounds at Michigan (Nov. 13)
• Shooting .439 from the field
• 2nd on the team and 11th in the BIG EAST in rebs. per game (7.2)
Over the last eight seasons (264 games), Xavier has made at least one three-pointer in 262 contests. XU’s streak of 39 straight games with a triple (dating back to the 2012-13 season), was snapped vs. UC on Dec. 21, 2013.
THE BIG 3
Shatyra Hawkes, Ashley Wanninger and Jenna Crittendon have combined to account for 59.4 percent (37.5 points per game) of Xavier’s scoring. The trio is also shooting .381 (149-of-391) from the floor and .310 (58-of-187) from long distance.
SHAKE AND BAKE
Seniors Shatyra Hawkes and Ashley Wanninger give XU one of the top scoring tandems in the conference. The duo is averaging a combined 26.7 points, 7.7 rebounds and 4.6 assists per game.
BIG EAST Top Scoring Tandems
Richardson-Smith/Simmons (Seton Hall) - 34.2 ppg
Rule/Harris (Providence) - 31.6 ppg
Plouffe/Young (Marquette) - 30.7 ppg
Butler/Cooper (Georgetown) - 30.4 ppg
Rogowski/Penny (DePaul) - 29.7 ppg
Handford/Brown (SJU) - 29.4 ppg
Janning/Nelson (Creighton) - 28.8 ppg
Stratman/McClung (Butler) - 28.0 ppg
HAWKES/WANNINGER (Xavier) - 26.7 ppg
• The duo has reached double figures in same game six times this season with Xavier going 4-3 in those contests.
Out of the 13 Division I schools in the state of Ohio, the Musketeers (5-7) rank t-7th for the most victories in the state (thru games played on Dec. 30).
Wright St. 11-3
Ohio St. 10-6
Cleveland St. 5-7
Youngstown St. 4-8
Miami (OH) 4-7
Kent St. 3-8
WAY FROM CINTAS CENTER
Xavier owns an 84-60 record away from Cintas Center since 2002-03, including 52-28 (.650) in conference road games.
Year Away Record Scoring Margin
2002-03 6-8 -1.2
2003-04 7-5 +1.4
2004-05 9-6 +4.3
2005-06 7-7 +1.9
2006-07 7-3 +8.4
2007-08 9-4 +5.4
2008-09 10-4 +4.0
2009-10 9-1 +11.9
2011-12 2-8 -9.8
2012-13 5-8 -3.0
2013-14 2-4 -12.5
70’S THE MAGIC NUMBER
Xavier has gone 135-9 over the last 12 seasons when scoring at least 70 points, including 3-1 in 2012-13. XU’s losses when scoring 70+ points during that span:
- 82-79: overtime loss at Richmond on Jan. 5, 2004
- 74-72: loss to No. 22 Maryland on Dec. 4, 2004
- 76-72: loss at Charlotte on Jan. 3, 2006
- 82-71: loss at Florida to open Nov. 9, 2007
- 72-71: loss to Michigan on Dec. 14, 2009
- 85-75: loss to Louisville on Mar. 22, 2011
- 80-75: double overtime loss to Ohio on Dec. 19, 2011
- 77-73: overtime loss to Appalachian State on Nov. 30, 2012
- 94-88: loss to Ohio on Nov. 10, 2013
Since the 2004-05 season, XU is 51-33 following a loss, including a 7-9 mark following a loss during the 2012-13 season.
KNOW YOUR OPPONENT | DEPAUL BLUE DEMONS
- DePaul (9-3) enters its ninth season in the BIG EAST Conference and was picked to finish first in the league’s preseason poll by the coaches. DePaul is 5-3 in its BIG EAST openers and has won its last three. The Blue Demons also boast a 4-0 record when opening league play at McGrath-Phillips Arena.
- The Blue Demons closed out their non-conference schedule with a 91-67 win at Bradley on Dec. 29. Jasmine Penny paced three players in double-figures and tied a career-high with 29 points. The senior’s season-high point total also sent the Logansport, Ind., native over the 1,000-point mark for her career. Penny enters Wednesday’s game with 1,026 points which ranks fourth among active BIG EAST players.
- On the year, DePaul has used a balanced attack with all five of its starters averaging double-figures. Megan Rogowski leads the group with 14.9 points and Penny follows with 14.8. Chanise Jenkins (11.0), Megan Podkowa (10.8) and Brittany Hrynko (10.7) are also averaging double figures. As a team, the Blue Demons are averaging 84.2 points per contest which ranks 17th in the Division I and is tops in the BIG EAST.
- DePaul also ranks in the top 17 in Division I in the categories of - assists (4th - 21.3), steals (5th - 12.9), 3-point field goals per game (11th - 9.0), assist to turnover ratio (11th - 1.36) and 17th in the categories of scoring offense and turnover margin (+6.33).