Dec. 28, 2013
Game #12 - Xavier (5-6) vs. Indiana (12-0)
Promotion: BLUE OUT - First 500 fans receive a Blue Out t-shirt
Date: Sunday, December 29, 2013
Time: 2:00 p.m.
City: Cincinnati, Ohio
Site: Cintas Center (10,250)
Live Stats: GoXavier.com
Live Audio: GoXavier.com
Talent: Mike Schmaltz (P-B-B), Rich Hoyt (Analyst)
Twitter: @Xavier_WBB | @XavierGameday
Twitter Hashtags: #LetsGoX
Current Streak: L 2
Last 5: 2-3
Home Record: 3-2
vs. Big Ten: 7-13
vs. Indiana: 4th Meeting; UC leads 2-1
Up Next: at DePaul - Jan. 1 (5:00 p.m. ET)
AT A GLANCE
The Musketeers will look to get back to their winning ways when they host the undefeated Hoosiers of Indiana on Sunday, Dec. 29 at Cintas Center. The final non-conference matchup for Xavier is set to tip at 2 p.m.
The Last Meeting
December 21, 2012
#XUWBB Suffers 66-55 Snowy Indiana Setback
In its final game before Christmas, the Xavier women's basketball team dropped a 66-55 decision at Indiana Friday afternoon. The Musketeers were led by senior Amber Gray with 16 points in 27 minutes of action. With the loss, XU moves to 5-6 while IU improves to 8-4 on the season.
Following Sunday afternoon’s matchup with IU, the Blue and White will travel to the Windy City for their first BIG EAST conference game. XU will face DePaul on New Year’s Day for the seventh all-time meeting between the two squads. The Blue Demons were one of four BIG EAST teams to appear in the NCAA Tournament last season (St. John’s, Creighton and Villanova).
Xavier Head Coach: Brian Neal (Northern Kentucky ‘91)
Career Record: 176-37 (8th Season)
Record at Xavier: 5-6 (1st Season)
Indiana Head Coach: Curt Miller (UConn ‘96)
Career Record: 281-111 (13th Season)
Record at IU: 23-19 (2nd Season)
@XAVIER_WBB STARTING 5 QUICK HITS
#3 Shatyra Hawkes (G)
• Set a career-high in points (27) at Michigan (Nov. 13)
• 9th in the BIG EAST in points per game (14.7)
• Named to the 2013 Paradise Jam All-Tournament team
#13 Ashley Wanninger (G)
• Scored a career-high 25 points vs. Austin Peay (Dec. 7)
• 18th in the BIG EAST in points per game (12.0)
• 9th in the BIG EAST in minutes per game (32.8)
• 7th in the BIG EAST in 3-pointers made per game (1.8)
#35 Jenna Crittendon (G)
• Set a career-high in points (25) at Ohio (Nov. 10)
• t-1st on the team and t-9th in the BIG EAST in rebs. per game (7.1)
• Recorded her 1st career double-double vs. Austin Peay (21pts, 13rebs)
#14 Briana Glover (F)
• Averaging 25.5 minutes per contest
• Shooting .750 from the free-throw line
• Scored a layup with 23 seconds left to force overtime at U-M (Nov. 13)
#23 Leah Schaefer (F)
• Tallied six points and three boards in her first collegiate game/start
• Finished with nine points and nine rebounds at Michigan (Nov. 13)
• Shooting .444 from the field
• t-1st on the team and t-9th in the BIG EAST in rebounds per game (7.1)
Over the last eight seasons (263 games), Xavier has made at least one three-pointer in 261 contests. XU’s streak of 39 straight games with a triple (dating back to the 2012-13 season), was snapped vs. UC on Dec. 21, 2013.
THE BIG 3
Shatyra Hawkes, Ashley Wanninger and Jenna Crittendon have combined to account for 60.7 percent (41.0 points per game) of Xavier’s scoring. The trio is also shooting .398 (135-of-339) from the floor and .316 (50-of-158) from long distance.
SHAKE AND BAKE
Seniors Shatyra Hawkes and Ashley Wanninger give XU one of the top scoring tandems in the conference. The duo is averaging a combined 26.7 points, 7.7 rebounds and 4.4 assists per game.
BIG EAST Top Scoring Tandems
Richardson-Smith/Simmons (Seton Hall) - 36.0 ppg
Handford/Brown (SJU) - 33.6 ppg
Plouffe/Young (Marquette) - 31.6 ppg
Rule/Harris (Providence) - 31.5 ppg
Butler/Cooper (Georgetown) - 30.5 ppg
Stratman/McClung (Butler) - 29.2 ppg
Janning/Nelson (Creighton) - 28.5
Rogowski/Penny (DePaul) - 28.4 ppg
HAWKES/WANNINGER (Xavier) - 26.7 ppg
• The duo has reached double figures in same game six times this season with Xavier going 4-3 in those contests.
Out of the 13 Division I schools in the state of Ohio, the Musketeers (5-6) rank t-5th for the most victories in the state (thru games played on Dec. 27).
Wright St. 10-3
Ohio St. 9-6
Cleveland St. 5-6
Youngstown St. 4-7
Miami (OH) 3-7
Kent St. 3-8
SCOUTING THE HOOSIERS
• Indiana’s 12-0 record to begin the season ties for the best start in program history as the only other IU squad to begin 12-0 was Indiana’s first ever women’s basketball team in 1971-72.
• IU received votes in this week’s AP Top 25 Poll (12/23) and the USA Today Top 25 Coaches Poll (12/24), a program first since 2008-09.
• The Hoosiers are the only Big Ten team with an unblemished record and one of just seven nationally.
• With it’s 12th non-conference win at Cleveland State, Indiana set a school record for most non-Big Ten regular season wins in a single season.
• Indiana’s 12th win of the year also surpasses the entire win total from the 2012-13 campaign.
• IU tallied the second-most points ever scored in a single game with 107 at Cleveland State on Dec. 21, the most points scored by a Hoosier team since March 1992. Indiana also dished for 27 assists at CSU, tying for the third-most assists in a single game in school history.