Dec. 20, 2013
The Last Meeting
December 2, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio (5/3 Arena)
Game Notes: Xavier Notes | Cincinnati Notes
Game #11 - Xavier (5-5) vs. Cincinnati (6-4)
Date: Saturday, December 21, 2013
Time: 2:00 p.m.
City: Cincinnati, Ohio
Site: Cintas Center (10,250)
Live Stats: GoXavier.com
Live Video: GoXavier.com
Talent: Mike Schmaltz (P-B-B), Rich Hoyt (Analyst)
Twitter: @Xavier_WBB | @XavierGameday
Twitter Hashtags: #LetsGoX
Current Streak: L 1
Last 5: 3-2
Home Record: 3-1
vs. American Athletic Conference: 0-0
vs. Cincinnati: 36th Meeting; UC leads 22-13
Up Next: vs. Indiana - Dec. 29 (2:00 p.m.)
AT A GLANCE
The Musketeers, winners of four consecutive Crosstown Classics, will look to pick up win number five when they host the Bearcats of Cincinnati on Saturday, Dec. 21 at Cintas Center. Mike Schmaltz and Rich Hoyt will have the call on GoXavier.com for the contest that is set to tip at 2 p.m.
Following Saturday afternoon’s matchup with UC, the Blue and White will travel to the Windy City for their first BIG EAST conference game. XU will face DePaul on New Year’s Day for the seventh all-time meeting between the two squads. The Blue Demons were one of four BIG EAST teams to appear in the NCAA Tournament last season (St. John’s, Creighton and Villanova).
Xavier Head Coach: Brian Neal (Northern Kentucky ‘91)
Career Record: 176-36 (8th Season)
Record at Xavier: 5-5 (1st Season)
Cincinnati Head Coach: Jamelle Elliott (UConn ‘96)
Career Record: 55-76 (5th Season)
Record at UC: Same
@XAVIER_WBB STARTING 5 QUICK HITS
#3 Shatyra Hawkes (G)
• Set a career-high in points (27) at Michigan (Nov. 13)
• 6th in the BIG EAST in points per game (16.0)
• Named to the 2013 Paradise Jam All-Tournament team
#13 Ashley Wanninger (G)
• Scored a career-high 25 points vs. Austin Peay (Dec. 7)
• 9th in the BIG EAST in minutes per game (33.1)
• 7th in the BIG EAST in 3-pointers made per game (2.0)
#35 Jenna Crittendon (G)
• Set a career-high in points (25) at Ohio (Nov. 10)
• 1st on the team and 9th in the BIG EAST in rebounds per game (7.4)
• Recorded her 1st career double-double vs. Austin Peay (21pts, 13rebs)
#14 Briana Glover (F)
• Averaging 25.5 minutes per contest
• Shooting .750 from the free-throw line
• Scored a layup with 23 seconds left to force overtime at U-M (Nov. 13)
#23 Leah Schaefer (F)
• Tallied six points and three boards in her first collegiate game/start
• Finished with nine points and nine rebounds at Michigan (Nov. 13)
• Shooting .469 from the field
• 10th in the conference in rebounding (6.9)
Over the last eight seasons (262 games), Xavier has made at least one three-pointer in 261 contests, including 39 straight (dating back to the 2012-13 season). The last time the Musketeers didn’t knock down a three in the last eight seasons was March 2, 2012 vs La Salle in the 2012 A-10 Tournament. During the current 39-game run, the Blue and White have knocked down 206 money balls while their opponents have knocked down 210 threes.
THE BIG 3
Shatyra Hawkes, Ashley Wanninger and Jenna Crittendon have combined to account for 60.7 percent (41.0 points per game) of Xavier’s scoring. The trio is also shooting .398 (135-of-339) from the floor and .316 (50-of-158) from long distance.
SHAKE AND BAKE
Seniors Shatyra Hawkes and Ashley Wanninger give XU one of the top scoring tandems in the conference. The duo is averaging a combined 29.2 points, 8.1 rebounds and 4.9 assists per game.
BIG EAST Top Scoring Tandems
Richardson-Smith/Simmons (Seton Hall) - 36.1 ppg
Rule/Harris (Providence) - 33.8 ppg
Handford/Brown (SJU) - 32.2 ppg
Plouffe/Young (Marquette) - 32.2 ppg
Butler/Cooper (Georgetown) - 31.8 ppg
Stratman/McClung (Butler) - 30.3 ppg
Rogowski/Penny (DePaul) - 29.7 ppg
HAWKES/WANNINGER (Xavier) - 29.2 ppg
• The duo has reached double figures in same game six times this season with Xavier going 4-3 in those contests.
Out of the 13 Division I schools in the state of Ohio, the Musketeers (5-5) rank t-5th for the most victories in the state (thru games played on Dec. 18).
Wright St. 8-3
Ohio St. 8-6
Cleveland St. 5-5
Miami (OH) 3-6
Youngstown St. 3-6
Kent St. 3-7
PROTECT THIS HOUSE
XU is 164-48 over its 212-game run at Cintas Center since it opened prior to the 2000-01 season.
The Musketeers won their 150th game at Cintas Center with a 71-66 victory over visiting Morehead State on Dec. 6, 2011 (100th victory was 69-52 over Penn State 1/30/08).
70’S THE MAGIC NUMBER
Xavier has gone 135-9 over the last 12 seasons when scoring at least 70 points, including 3-1 in 2012-13. XU’s losses when scoring 70+ points during that span:
- 82-79: overtime loss at Richmond on Jan. 5, 2004
- 74-72: loss to No. 22 Maryland on Dec. 4, 2004
- 76-72: loss at Charlotte on Jan. 3, 2006
- 82-71: loss at Florida to open Nov. 9, 2007
- 72-71: loss to Michigan on Dec. 14, 2009
- 85-75: loss to Louisville on Mar. 22, 2011
- 80-75: double overtime loss to Ohio on Dec. 19, 2011
- 77-73: overtime loss to Appalachian State on Nov. 30, 2012
- 94-88: loss to Ohio on Nov. 10, 2013
Since the 2004-05 season, XU is 51-31 following a loss, including a 7-9 mark following a loss during the 2012-13 season.
SCOUTING THE BEARCATS
NOTES FROM UC’s WIN OVER AKRON (Dec. 17)
- Dayeesha Hollins became the 25th player in UC women’s basketball program history to record 1,000 points in Cincinnati’s win over Akron on Dec. 17. Hollins now has 1,438 points in her collegiate career after totaling 420 during her freshman season at Michigan.
Hollins reached double-digits in scoring for the eighth time this season and 81st of her career.
- Jeanise Randolph recorded her fourth double-double of the season with a career-high 25 points and a season-high 12 rebounds.
- Alyesha Lovett reached double-digit points for the third-straight game with 14 points that included 2-of-5 shooting from behind the arc.
- Jeanise Randolph recorded three blocks in the contest to total 59 in her career. She is just three shy of tying current teammate Tiffany Turner for sixth on Cincinnati’s all-time blocks list.
- Hollins reached double-digits in scoring for the eighth time this season and 81st of her career.