Senior Ashley Wanninger
Feb. 28, 2014
Game #29 - Xavier (8-20, 3-13 BIG EAST) vs. Villanova (20-7, 10-6 BIG EAST)
Game Notes: Xavier Notes (PDF) | Villanova Notes (PDF)
Date: Saturday, March 1, 2014
Time: 12:00 p.m. ET
City: Cincinnati, Ohio
Site: Cintas Center (10,250)
Live Stats: GoXavier.com
Live Audio: GoXavier.com
Talent: Mike Schmaltz (P-B-P), Rich Hoyt (Analyst)
Twitter: @Xavier_WBB | @XavierGameday
Twitter Hashtags: #LetsGoX
Current Streak: L 10
Last 5: 0-5
Last 10: 0-10
Last 15: 3-12
Home Record: 6-8
vs. Villanova: 3rd Meeting; Villanova leads 2-0
Last Meeting: Jan. 25, 2014; Villanova 61, XU 32
Up Next: at Seton Hall - March 4 (7 p.m.)
AT A GLANCE
The Musketeers will look to snap a 10-game losing streak when they host the Butler Bulldogs on SENIOR DAY and the final BIG EAST home contest of the season on Saturday afternoon (Mar 1). The BIG EAST Conference matchup is set to tip at 12 p.m., with the senior day ceremony beginning at 11:45 a.m.
Following Saturday afternoon's matchup with Villanova, the Musketeers will have one regular season contest left before heading to Chicago to participate in the 2014 BIG EAST Tournament (March 8-11). XU will wrap up the regular season slate at Seton Hall on March 4 (7 p.m.).
Head Coach: Brian Neal (Northern Kentucky `91)
Career Record: 179-51 (8th Season)
Record at Xavier: 8-20 (1st Season)
Head Coach: Harry Perretta (Lycoming `78)
Career Record: 658-411 (36th Season)
Record at Villanova: Same
@XAVIER_WBB PROBABLE STARTING 5 QUICK HITS
#5 Kayla Davis (G)
• Member of the U19 Canadian national team that competed in 2013 FIBA Worlds in Lithuania
• Recorded a steal in nine games this season
• Scored a career-high 14 points at Marquette (Feb. 15)
• Grabbed a career-high eight boards at Providence (Feb. 22)
#13 Ashley Wanninger (G)
• Scored a career-high 26 points vs. Georgetown (Jan. 8)
• 23rd in points per game (11.4) in BIG EAST play
• t-4th in the BIG EAST in 3-pointers made per game (2.1)
• Made at least one trifecta in 20 games this season
#15 Aliyah Zantt (G)
• Scored in double figures eight times this season
• 3rd in the BIG EAST with 63 total steals
• 3rd in the BIG EAST in steals per game (2.3)
#14 Briana Glover (F)
• Scored a layup with 23 seconds left to force overtime at U-M (Nov. 13)
• Averaging 27.9 minutes per contest
• Shooting .400 from the field
#21 Maddison Blackwell (F)
• Made her first career start at Georgetown (Feb. 8)
• Recorded her 1st career double-double at Providence (21 pts, 10 rebs; Feb. 22)
• Pulled down a career-high 14 boards at Butler (Feb. 25)
• t-2nd on the team in total steals (26)
• Leads the team in total offensive rebounds (35)
Over the last eight seasons (280 games; since 2006-07 season), Xavier has made at least one three-pointer in 278 contests. XU's streak of 39 straight games with a triple (dating back to the 2012-13 season), was snapped vs. UC on Dec. 21, 2013.
The Musketeers have made 1,366 triples since the 2006-07 season, good for an average of 4.88 three-point field goals made per game.
Sophomore Aliyah Zantt's 63 steals lead the team and are the 3rd most of any player in the BIG EAST this season.
• 3rd in the BIG EAST in total steals with 63.
• 3rd in the BIG EAST in steals per game (2.3).
• Thru games played on Feb. 23, she ranked 58th in the nation (2.30 steals per game).
• Registered a career-high six steals at DePaul this season (Jan. 1).
• Has 45 steals in the last 17 games.
• Tallied multiple steals in 15 games this season.
• Has recorded three or more steals nine times this year.
• Has a steal in 44 of 57 career games, including 22 multi-steal performances.
• Reached 50 career steals in 41st career game (vs Indiana; Dec. 29).
• Currently has a steal in 27 of 28 games this season, including recording a theft in 20 straight contests.
Of the 13 Division I schools in the state of Ohio, the Musketeers (8-20) rank t-10th for the most victories in the state (thru games played on Feb. 26).
Wright St. 20-7
Ohio St. 15-15
Youngstown St. 13-12
Cleveland St. 13-13
Miami (OH) 7-19
Kent St. 6-19
PROTECT THIS HOUSE
XU is 167-55 over its 222-game run at Cintas Center since it opened prior to the 2000-01 season.
The Musketeers won their 150th game at Cintas Center with a 71-66 victory over visiting Morehead State on Dec. 6, 2011 (100th victory was 69-52 over Penn State 1/30/08).
KNOW YOUR OPPONENT | VILLANOVA WILDCATS
Villanova enters the contest with Xavier with a 10-6 BIG EAST Conference record, tied for fourth in the conference with Marquette. The Wildcats have lost two of their last three games, including a win versus Georgetown sandwiched between two losses at the hands of 1st and 2nd place DePaul and St. John's, respectively. Prior to the skid, Villanova was on a six-game winning streak, which started in Philadelphia with a 61-32 victory over Xavier.
LAST GAME OUT
Villanova suffered a 71-56 loss at the hands of the DePaul Blue Demons Tuesday night in Philadelphia. DePaul opened the game on a 16-3 run and would hold the lead for the entire game. Caroline Coyer's jumper cut the DePaul lead to six, but the Blue Demons held a 25-13 halftime lead. In the second half, the Wildcats got as close as eight points down due to consistent shots made behind the arc by DePaul. Senior Devon Kane led the Wildcats with 19 points on 8-of-13 shooting. Taylor Holeman chipped in with 10 points on 5-of-7 shooting. Coyer added four points, seven rebounds, five assists and three steals.
Villanova continues to be a defensive force in the BIG EAST. The Wildcats have the best scoring defense in the conference, allowing only 57.4 ppg. Villanova also boasts the second highest free throw percentage (.728) in the conference behind conference-leader Marquette (.728). The team averages 16.7 assists per game, most coming from Devon Kane and Caroline Coyer. Villanova has the best assist/turnover ratio in the conference at 1.9.