Game #26 - Xavier (8-17, 3-10 BIG EAST) vs. Creighton (15-10, 9-4 BIG EAST)
Game Notes: Xavier Notes (PDF)
Promotion: PINK OUT- Fans who wear a pink t-shirt will be able to purchase a $5 ticket.
Giveaway: The first 500 fans will receive pink pom-poms
Date: Tuesday, February 18, 2014
Time: 7:00 p.m. ET
City: Cincinnati, Ohio
Site: Cintas Center (10,250)
Live Stats: GoXavier.com
Live Video: GoXavier.com
Live Audio: GoXavier.com
Talent: Mike Schmaltz (P-B-P) & Rich Hoyt (Analyst)
Twitter: @Xavier_WBB | @XavierGameday
Twitter Hashtags: #LetsGoX
Current Streak: L 7
Last 5: 0-5
Last 10: 1-9
Last 15: 3-12
Home Record: 6-7
vs. Creighton: 2nd Meeting; Creighton leads 1-0
Last Meeting: Jan. 15, 2014; Creighton 79, XU 50
Up Next: at Providence - Feb. 22 (2 p.m.)
AT A GLANCE
The Musketeers will look to snap a seven-game losing streak when they host the Bluejays of Creighton in the annual Play4Kay contest on Tuesday night (Feb. 18). The BIG EAST Conference matchup is set to tip at 7 p.m. ET.
Following Tuesday night’s matchup against Creighton, the Musketeers will hit the road for a pair of contests. XU will battle Providence on Feb. 22, before heading to Indianapolis to face Butler on Feb. 25.
Head Coach: Brian Neal (Northern Kentucky ‘91)
Career Record: 179-48 (8th Season)
Record at Xavier: 8-17 (1st Season)
Head Coach: Jim Flanery (Creighton ‘87)
Career Record: 140-71 (12th Season)
Record at Creighton: Same
PLAY 4 KAY
The Musketeers will participate three Play 4 Kay games this season. Xavier’s games at Georgetown (Feb. 8) and at Providence (Feb. 22) as well as the Blue and White’s home contest vs. Creighton (Feb. 18) will be Play 4 Kay events.
The Play 4Kay initiative is an opportunity for a nation of coaches to raise breast cancer awareness and funds for research on the court, across campuses, in communities and beyond.
Since its inception in 2007, the Play 4Kay initiative has raised over $2.8 million to support women’s cancer research. The Kay Yow Cancer Fund is the official charity of the initiative.
@XAVIER_WBB PROBABLE STARTING 5 QUICK HITS
#5 Kayla Davis (G)
• Member of the U19 Canadian national team that competed in 2013 FIBA Worlds in Lithuania
• Recorded a steal in seven games this season
• Scored a career-high 14 points at Marquette (Feb. 15)
#13 Ashley Wanninger (G)
• Scored a career-high 26 points vs. Georgetown (Jan. 8)
• 24th in points per game (10.7) in BIG EAST play
• t-6th in the BIG EAST in 3-pointers made per game (2.0)
• Made at least one trifecta in 17 games this season
#15 Aliyah Zantt (G)
• Scored in double figures six times this season
• 2nd in the BIG EAST with 59 total steals
• t-1st in the BIG EAST in steals per game (2.4)
#14 Briana Glover (F)
• Scored a layup with 23 seconds left to force overtime at U-M (Nov. 13)
• Averaging 27.0 minutes per contest
• Shooting .427 from the field
#21 Maddison Blackwell (F)
• Made her first career start at Georgetown (Feb. 8)
• Third on the team in total steals (22)
• Leads the team in total offensive rebounds (31)
Over the last eight seasons (277 games; since 2006-07 season), Xavier has made at least one three-pointer in 275 contests. XU’s streak of 39 straight games with a triple (dating back to the 2012-13 season), was snapped vs. UC on Dec. 21, 2013.
The Musketeers have made 1,351 triples since the 2006-07 season, good for an average of 4.88 three-point field goals made per game.
Sophomore ALIYAH ZANTT’s 59 steals lead the team and are the 2nd most of any player in the BIG EAST this season.
• 29 in the BIG EAST in total steals with 59.
• t-1st in the BIG EAST in steals per game (2.4).
• Thru games played on Feb. 16, she ranked 51st in the nation (2.36 steals per game).
• Registered a career-high six steals at DePaul this season (Jan. 1).
• Has 41 steals in the last 14 games.
• Tallied multiple steals in 14 games this season.
• Has recorded three or more steals nine times this year.
• Has a steal in 41 of 54 career games, including 21 multi-steal performances.
• Reached 50 career steals in 41st career game (vs Indiana; Dec. 29).
• Currently has a steal in 24 of 25 games this season, including recording a theft in 17 straight contests.
Of the 13 Division I schools in the state of Ohio, the Musketeers (8-17) rank t-10th for the most victories in the state (thru games played on Feb. 16).
Wright St. 18-7
Ohio St. 14-14
Cleveland St. 13-11
Youngstown St. 11-12
Miami (OH) 7-16
Kent St. 5-18
PROTECT THIS HOUSE
XU is 167-54 over its 221-game run at Cintas Center since it opened prior to the 2000-01 season.
The Musketeers won their 150th game at Cintas Center with a 71-66 victory over visiting Morehead State on Dec. 6, 2011 (100th victory was 69-52 over Penn State 1/30/08).