AT A GLANCE
The Musketeers will look to snap a six-game losing streak when they travel to the Badger State to face the Golden Eagles of Marquette on Saturday afternoon (Feb. 15). The BIG EAST Conference matchup is set to tip at 1 p.m. ET (12 p.m. CT).
Following Saturday afternoon’s matchup at Marquette, the Musketeers will return home to host Creighton in the annual Play4Kay contest on Feb. 18 (7 p.m.). Fans who wear a pink t-shirt will be able to purchase a $5 ticket and the first 500 fans will receive pink pom poms.
Head Coach: Brian Neal (Northern Kentucky ‘91)
Career Record: 179-47 (8th Season)
Record at Xavier: 8-16 (1st Season)
Head Coach: Terri Mitchell (Duquesne ‘89)
Career Record: 342-211 (18th Season)
Record at MU: Same
PLAY 4 KAY
The Musketeers will participate three Play 4 Kay games this season. Xavier’s games at Georgetown (Feb. 8) and at Providence (Feb. 22) as well as the Blue and White’s home contest vs. Creighton (Feb. 18) will be Play 4 Kay events.
The Play 4Kay initiative is an opportunity for a nation of coaches to raise breast cancer awareness and funds for research on the court, across campuses, in communities and beyond.
Since its inception in 2007, the Play 4Kay initiative has raised over $2.8 million to support women’s cancer research. The Kay Yow Cancer Fund is the official charity of the initiative.
@XAVIER_WBB PROBABLE STARTING 5 QUICK HITS
#5 Kayla Davis (G)
• Member of the U19 Canadian national team that competed in 2013 FIBA Worlds in Lithuania
• Recorded a steal in six games this season
• Scored a career-high 13 points vs. CMU (Nov. 30) at the Paradise Jam
#13 Ashley Wanninger (G)
• Scored a career-high 26 points vs. Georgetown (Jan. 8)
• 25th in points per game (10.4) in BIG EAST play
• t-8th in the BIG EAST in 3-pointers made per game (1.8)
• Made at least one trifecta in 16 games this season
#35 Jenna Crittendon (G)
• Set a career-high in points (25) at Ohio (Nov. 10)
• Recorded her 3rd career double-double vs. Marquette (14 pts, 10 rebs)
• 28th in the BIG EAST in points per game (10.2)
• 1st on the team and 9th in the BIG EAST in rebs. per game (6.9)
#14 Briana Glover (F)
• Scored a layup with 23 seconds left to force overtime at U-M (Nov. 13)
• Averaging 26.5 minutes per contest
• Shooting .409 from the field
#23 Leah Schaefer (F)
• Finished with nine points and nine rebounds at Michigan (Nov. 13)
• Shooting .417 from the field
• 2nd on the team and 14th in the BIG EAST in rebs. per game (6.0)
• 11th in the BIG EAST in defensive rebs. per game (4.7)
On Friday, Feb. 14, Shatyra Hawkes was dismissed from the squad for a violation of athletic department rules. Hawkes is no longer a member of the program but will remain a Xavier student and is on target to graduate in May.
Hawkes led the Musketeers in scoring at 13.9 ppg and assists at 3.7 apg through 24 games this season.
Over the last eight seasons (276 games; since 2006-07 season), Xavier has made at least one three-pointer in 274 contests. XU’s streak of 39 straight games with a triple (dating back to the 2012-13 season), was snapped vs. UC on Dec. 21, 2013.
The Musketeers have made 1,343 triples since the 2006-07 season, good for an average of 4.87 three-point field goals made per game.
Sophomore ALIYAH ZANTT’s 57 steals lead the team and are tied for most of any player in the BIG EAST this season.
• t-1st in the BIG EAST in total steals with 57.
• t-2nd the BIG EAST in steals per game (2.4).
• Thru games played on Feb. 9, she ranked 57th in the nation (2.39 steals per game).
• Registered a career-high six steals at DePaul this season (Jan. 1).
• Has 39 steals in the last 13 games.
• Tallied multiple steals in 13 games this season.
• Has recorded three or more steals nine times this year.
• Has a steal in 40 of 53 career games, including 20 multi-steal performances.
• Reached 50 career steals in 41st career game (vs Indiana; Dec. 29).
• Currently has a steal in 23 of 24 games this season, including recording a theft in 16 straight contests.
Of the 13 Division I schools in the state of Ohio, the Musketeers (8-16) rank t-10th for the most victories in the state (thru games played on Feb. 12).
Wright St. 17-7
Ohio St. 14-13
Cleveland St. 11-11
Youngstown St. 10-12
Miami (OH) 7-15
Kent St. 4-18
AWAY FROM CINTAS CENTER
Xavier owns an 84-64 record away from Cintas Center since 2002-03, including 52-33 (.612) in conference road games.
Year Away Record Scoring Margin
2002-03 6-8 -1.2
2003-04 7-5 +1.4
2004-05 9-6 +4.3
2005-06 7-7 +1.9
2006-07 7-3 +8.4
2007-08 9-4 +5.4
2008-09 10-4 +4.0
2009-10 9-1 +11.9
2010-11 11-2 +11.0
2011-12 2-8 -9.8
2012-13 5-8 -3.0
2013-14 2-9 -18.2