Feb. 4, 2014
Game #23 - Xavier (8-14, 3-7 BIG EAST) vs. RV/RV DePaul (17-5, 8-2 BIG EAST)
Game Notes: Xavier Notes (PDF) | DePaul Notes (PDF)
Date: Wednesday, February 5, 2014
Time: 7:00 p.m. ET
City: Cincinnati, Ohio
Site: Cintas Center (10,250)
Live Stats: GoXavier.com
Live Video: GoXavier.com
Talent: Mike Schmaltz (P-B-P), Rich Hoyt (Analyst)
Twitter: @Xavier_WBB | @XavierGameday
Twitter Hashtags: #LetsGoX
Current Streak: L 4
Last 5: 1-4
Last 10: 3-7
Last 15: 5-10
Home Record: 6-6
vs. DePaul: 8th Meeting; DePaul leads 6-1
Up Next: at Georgetown - Feb. 8 (4 p.m.)
AT A GLANCE
The Musketeers will look to snap a four-game losing streak when they host the Blue Demons of DePaul on Wednesday night (Feb. 5). The BIG EAST Conference matchup is set to tip at 7 p.m. ET.
Following Wednesday night’s matchup with DePaul, the Blue and White will hti the road for two contests. XU will face Georgetown in Washington D.C. on Feb. 8 before heading to Milwaukee, Wis. to face Marquette a week later (Feb. 15).
Head Coach: Brian Neal (Northern Kentucky ‘91)
Career Record: 179-45 (8th Season)
Record at Xavier: 8-14 (1st Season)
Head Coach: Doug Bruno (DePaul ‘73)
Career Record: 586-329 (30th Season)
Record at DePaul: 548-299 (28th Season)
@XAVIER_WBB STARTING 5 QUICK HITS
#3 Shatyra Hawkes (G)
• Named to the 2013 Paradise Jam All-Tournament team
• Set a career-high in points (27) at Michigan (Nov. 13)
• 13th in the BIG EAST in points per game (13.9)
• Led the team in scoring 11 times this season
#13 Ashley Wanninger (G)
• Scored a career-high 26 points vs. Georgetown (Jan. 8)
• 26th in points per game (10.3) in BIG EAST play
• 8th in the BIG EAST in 3-pointers made per game (1.8)
• Made at least one trifecta in 15 games this season
#35 Jenna Crittendon (G)
• Set a career-high in points (25) at Ohio (Nov. 10)
• Recorded her 3rd career double-double vs. Marquette (14 pts, 10 rebs)
• 29th in the BIG EAST in points per game (10.2)
• 1st on the team and 10th in the BIG EAST in rebs. per game (6.9)
#14 Briana Glover (F)
• Scored a layup with 23 seconds left to force overtime at U-M (Nov. 13)
• Averaging 26.1 minutes per contest
• Shooting .399 from the field
#23 Leah Schaefer (F)
• Finished with nine points and nine rebounds at Michigan (Nov. 13)
• Shooting .419 from the field
• 2nd on the team and 15th in the BIG EAST in rebs. per game (5.9)
• 11th in the BIG EAST in defensive rebs. per game (4.5)
Over the last eight seasons (274 games; since 2006-07 season), Xavier has made at least one three-pointer in 272 contests. XU’s streak of 39 straight games with a triple (dating back to the 2012-13 season), was snapped vs. UC on Dec. 21, 2013.
The Musketeers have made 1,323 triples since the 2006-07 season, good for an average of 4.83 three-point field goals made per game.
THE BIG 3
Shatyra Hawkes, Ashley Wanninger and Jenna Crittendon have combined to account for 56.5 percent (34.9 points per game) of Xavier’s scoring. The trio is also shooting .377 (252-of-669) from the floor and .328 (108-of-329) from long distance.
Sophomore ALIYAH ZANTT’s 52 steals lead the team and are the 2nd most of any player in the BIG EAST this season.
• 2nd in the BIG EAST in total steals with 52.
• 3rd the BIG EAST in steals per game (2.4).
• Thru games played on Feb. 2, she ranked 62nd in the nation (2.36 steals per game).
• Registered a career-high six steals at DePaul this season (Jan. 1).
• Has 34 steals in the last 11 games.
• Tallied multiple steals in 12 games this season.
• Has recorded three or more steals eight times this year.
• Has a steal in 38 of 51 career games, including 19 multi-steal performances.
• Reached 50 career steals in 41st career game (vs Indiana; Dec. 29).
• Currently has a steal in 21 of 22 games this season, including recording a theft in 14 straight contests.
SHAKE AND BAKE
Seniors Shatyra Hawkes and Ashley Wanninger give XU one of the top scoring tandems in the conference. The duo is averaging a combined 25.1 points, 7.7 rebounds and 4.9 assists per game.
BIG EAST Top Scoring Tandems (as of Feb. 3)
Richrdson-Smith/Simmons (Seton Hall) – 34.1 ppg
Cooper/White (Georgetown) – 31.7 ppg
Rule/Harris (Providence) – 31.4 ppg
Penny/Rogowski (DePaul) – 30.6 ppg
Plouffe/Young (Marquette) – 30.1 ppg
Janning/Nelson (Creighton) – 30.1 ppg
McClung/Stratman (Butler) – 28.0 ppg
Handford/Grant (St. John’s) – 27.4 ppg
Hawkes/Wanninger (Xavier) – 24.7 ppg
Kane/C. Coyer (Villanova) – 22.8 ppg
• The duo has reached double figures in same game 11 times this season with Xavier going 6-5 in those contests.
Of the 13 Division I schools in the state of Ohio, the Musketeers (8-14) rank 10th for the most victories in the state (thru games played on Feb. 2).
Wright St. 16-6
Ohio St. 14-11
Youngstown St. 10-10
Cleveland St. 10-11
Miami (OH) 7-13
Kent St. 4-16
PROTECT THIS HOUSE
XU is 167-53 over its 220-game run at Cintas Center since it opened prior to the 2000-01 season.
The Musketeers won their 150th game at Cintas Center with a 71-66 victory over visiting Morehead State on Dec. 6, 2011 (100th victory was 69-52 over Penn State 1/30/08).