Senior Ashley Wanninger is 8th in the BIG EAST in 3-pt FG made per game (1.8).
Jan. 31, 2014
Game #22 - Xavier (8-13, 3-6 BIG EAST) vs. Butler (9-11, 4-5 BIG EAST)
Game Notes: Xavier Notes (PDF) | Butler Notes (PDF)
Promotion: Pack the House (Free admission for fans who bring their MBB vs. Seton Hall ticket)
Women's Basketball Alumni Night
Date: Saturday, February 1, 2014
Time: 5:00 p.m. ET
City: Cincinnati, Ohio
Site: Cintas Center (10,250)
Live Stats: GoXavier.com
Live Audio: GoXavier.com
Talent: Mike Schmaltz (P-B-P), Rich Hoyt (Analyst)
TV: Fox Sports 2
Fox Sports 2 Channel Finder: GoXavier.com
Talent: Tiffany Greene (P-B-P) Jackie Windon (Analyst)
Twitter: @Xavier_WBB | @XavierGameday
Twitter Hashtags: #LetsGoX
Current Streak: L 3
Last 5: 1-4
Last 10: 3-7
Last 15: 5-10
Home Record: 6-5
vs. Butler: 32nd Meeting; Butler leads 17-14
Last Meeting: Jan. 17, 2013 | Butler 71, Xavier 67
Up Next: vs. DePaul - Feb. 5 (7 p.m.)
AT A GLANCE
The Musketeers will look to snap a three-game losing streak when they host the Bulldogs of Butler on Saturday night (Feb. 1). The BIG EAST Conference matchup is set to tip at 5 p.m. ET and can be seen live on Fox Sports 2.
Following Saturday night’s matchup with BU, the Blue and White will return to Cintas Center to host DePaul on Feb. 5. XU and the Blue Demons will tip off at 7 p.m.
Head Coach: Brian Neal (Northern Kentucky ‘91)
Career Record: 179-44 (8th Season)
Record at Xavier: 8-13 (1st Season)
Head Coach: Beth Couture (Erskine ‘84)
Career Record: 437-275 (24th Season)
Record at Butler: 179-158 (11th Season)
KNOW YOUR OPPONENT | BUTLER BULLDOGS
Butler enters the game against Xavier with a 4-5 BIG EAST conference record and a 9-11 overall record. The Bulldogs are seventh in the conference. Butler has lost four of its last six games, however, they are coming off a 72-69 victory over Providence on Wednesday. During conference play, the Bulldogs rank eighth with 64.2 points per game. Butler ranks third in the conference with a .372 three-point field goal percentage. They lead the BIG EAST in blocked shots with 38, for an average of 4.2 per game.
LAST GAME OUT
Butler defeated Providence 72-69 on Wednesday night to improve to 4-5 in conference play. Junior Taylor Schippers launched a deep three-pointer with only 13 second to play to give the Bulldogs the lead and the victory. Senior guard Mandy McDivitt’s performance was huge in the victory, as she finished with a team-high 17 points and 11 rebounds. She nailed five shots from behind the arc. Three other Bulldogs scored in double figures, including Daress Mcclung (15), Taylor Schippers (12) and Liz Stratman (10).
Junior center Liz Stratman transferred from Xavier to Butler during her freshman season. She appeared in 12 games as a Musketeer, averaging 15.5 minutes. She also averaged 3.2 points and 4.4 rebounds. Stratman tallied then-career-highs in points (11) versus Morehead State and rebounds (8) versus Middle Tennessee. This season for Butler, she is second on the team in scoring with 12.9 points per game and second in rebounds per game with 5.7 boards. She leads the BIG EAST in blocks with 42, good for 2.3 blocked shots per game.
MCDIVITT FROM DOWNTOWN
Senior guard Mandy McDivitt is a sharpshooter from behind the arc for the Bulldogs. She is in the top 5 in Butler women’s basketball history with 152 career 3-point field goals. McDivitt recorded 25 3-point field goals as a freshman, 47 as a sophomore, and 41 as a junior. She most recently hit five 3-point field goals vs. Providence moving her current season 3-point total to 39. McDivitt ranks seventh in the conference in three-field goals made and ninth in three-point field goal percentage (.355).
@XAVIER_WBB STARTING 5 QUICK HITS
#3 Shatyra Hawkes (G)
• Named to the 2013 Paradise Jam All-Tournament team
• Set a career-high in points (27) at Michigan (Nov. 13)
• 13th in the BIG EAST in points per game (14.0)
• Led the team in scoring 11 times this season
#13 Ashley Wanninger (G)
• Scored a career-high 26 points vs. Georgetown (Jan. 8)
• 23rd in points per game (10.9) in BIG EAST play
• 8th in the BIG EAST in 3-pointers made per game (1.8)
• Made at least one trifecta in 14 games this season
#35 Jenna Crittendon (G)
• Set a career-high in points (25) at Ohio (Nov. 10)
• Recorded her 3rd career double-double vs. Marquette (14 pts, 10 rebs)
• 25th in points per game (10.5) in BIG EAST play
• 1st on the team and 10th in the BIG EAST in rebs. per game (7.2)
#14 Briana Glover (F)
• Scored a layup with 23 seconds left to force overtime at U-M (Nov. 13)
• Averaging 26.3 minutes per contest
• Shooting .389 from the field
#23 Leah Schaefer (F)
• Finished with nine points and nine rebounds at Michigan (Nov. 13)
• Shooting .432 from the field
• 2nd on the team and 15th in the BIG EAST in rebs. per game (5.7)
• 11th in the BIG EAST in defensive rebs. per game (4.4)
Over the last eight seasons (273 games; since 2006-07 season), Xavier has made at least one three-pointer in 271 contests. XU’s streak of 39 straight games with a triple (dating back to the 2012-13 season), was snapped vs. UC on Dec. 21, 2013.
The Musketeers have made 1,317 triples since the 2006-07 season, good for an average of 4.8 three-point field goals made per game.
THE BIG 3
Shatyra Hawkes, Ashley Wanninger and Jenna Crittendon have combined to account for 57.6 percent (35.8 points per game) of Xavier’s scoring. The trio is also shooting .386 (246-of-638) from the floor and .338 (106-of-314) from long distance.
Sophomore ALIYAH ZANTT’s 51 steals lead the team and are the most of any player in the BIG EAST this season.
• 1st in the BIG EAST in total steals with 49.
• 2nd the BIG EAST in steals per game (2.4).
• Thru games played on Jan. 26, she ranked 62nd in the nation (2.42 steals per game).
• Registered a career-high six steals at DePaul this season (Jan. 1).
• Has 33 steals in the last 10 games.
• Tallied multiple steals in 12 games this season.
• Has recorded three or more steals eight times this year.
• Has a steal in 37 of 50 career games, including 19 multi-steal performances.
• Reached 50 career steals in 41st career game (vs Indiana; Dec. 29).
• Currently has a steal in 20 of 21 games this season, including recording a theft in 13 straight contests.
BIG EAST Top Scoring Tandems (as of Jan. 30)
Richrdson-Smith/Simmons (Seton Hall) – 34.4 ppg
Cooper/White (Georgetown) – 31.7 ppg
Rule/Harris (Providence) – 31.7 ppg
Penny/Rogowski (DePaul) – 31.0 ppg
Plouffe/Young (Marquette) – 30.2 ppg
Janning/Nelson (Creighton) – 30.1 ppg
Handford/Grant (St. John’s) – 28.2 ppg
McClung/Stratman (Butler) – 27.9 ppg
Hawkes/Wanninger (Xavier) – 25.1 ppg
Kane/C. Coyer (Villanova) – 22.3 ppg
• The duo has reached double figures in same game 11 times this season with Xavier going 6-5 in those contests.
Of the 13 Division I schools in the state of Ohio, the Musketeers (8-13) rank t-9th for the most victories in the state (thru games played on Jan. 29).
Wright St. 15-6
Ohio St. 13-10
Youngstown St. 10-9
Cleveland St. 9-11
Miami (OH) 6-12
Kent St. 3-16
PROTECT THIS HOUSE
XU is 167-52 over its 219-game run at Cintas Center since it opened prior to the 2000-01 season.
The Musketeers won their 150th game at Cintas Center with a 71-66 victory over visiting Morehead State on Dec. 6, 2011 (100th victory was 69-52 over Penn State 1/30/08).