Senior Shatyra Hawkes leads XU in scoring (13.9 ppg).
Jan. 28, 2014
Game #21 - Xavier (8-12, 3-5 BIG EAST) at St. John's (14-5, 7-1 BIG EAST)
Game Notes: Xavier Notes | St. John's Notes
Date: Wednesday, January 29, 2014
Time: 7:00 p.m. ET
City: Queens, N.Y.
Site: Carnesecca Arena (5,602)
Live Stats: RedStormSports.com
Live Video: ESPN3.com/Watch ESPN
Talent: Ralph Bednarczyk (P-B-P)
Twitter: @Xavier_WBB | @XavierGameday
Twitter Hashtags: #LetsGoX
Current Streak: L 2
Last 5: 1-4
Last 10: 3-7
Last 15: 6-9
Away Record: 1-5
vs. St. John's: 2nd Meeting; XU leads 1-0
Up Next: vs. Butler - Feb. 1 (5 p.m.) - Fox Sports 2
AT A GLANCE
The Musketeers will look to snap a two-game losing streak when they travel to Queens, N.Y.. to battle the Red Storm of St. John's on Wednesday night (Jan. 29). The BIG EAST Conference matchup is set to tip at 7 p.m. ET and can be seen live on ESPN3.com or the WatchESPN app.
Following Wednesday night's matchup at St. John's, the Blue and White will return to Cintas Center to host Butler on Feb. 1. XU and Butler will tip off at 5 p.m. and will be Xavier's first and only home TV game of the season (Fox Sports 2).
Head Coach: Brian Neal (Northern Kentucky `91)
Career Record: 179-43 (8th Season)
Record at Xavier: 8-12 (1st Season)
Head Coach: Joe Tartamella (James Madison `01)
Career Record: 32-18 (2nd Season)
Record at SJU: Same
@XAVIER_WBB STARTING 5 QUICK HITS
#3 Shatyra Hawkes (G)
• Named to the 2013 Paradise Jam All-Tournament team
• Set a career-high in points (27) at Michigan (Nov. 13)
• 12th in the BIG EAST in points per game (13.9)
• Led the team in scoring nine times this season
#13 Ashley Wanninger (G)
• Scored a career-high 26 points vs. Georgetown (Jan. 8)
• 22nd in points per game (11.1) in BIG EAST play
• 7th in the BIG EAST in 3-pointers made per game (1.9)
• Made at least one trifecta in 13 games this season
#35 Jenna Crittendon (G)
• Set a career-high in points (25) at Ohio (Nov. 10)
• Recorded her 3rd career double-double vs. Marquette (14 pts, 10 rebs)
• 25th in points per game (10.5) in BIG EAST play
• 1st on the team and 8th in the BIG EAST in rebs. per game (7.2)
#14 Briana Glover (F)
• Scored a layup with 23 seconds left to force overtime at U-M (Nov. 13)
• Averaging 26.6 minutes per contest
• Shooting .396 from the field
#23 Leah Schaefer (F)
• Finished with nine points and nine rebounds at Michigan (Nov. 13)
• Shooting .466 from the field
• 2nd on the team and 15th in the BIG EAST in rebs. per game (5.8)
• 10th in the BIG EAST in defensive rebs. per game (4.5)
Over the last eight seasons (272 games; since 2006-07 season), Xavier has made at least one three-pointer in 270 contests. XU's streak of 39 straight games with a triple (dating back to the 2012-13 season), was snapped vs. UC on Dec. 21, 2013.
The Musketeers have made 1,312 triples since the 2006-07 season, good for an average of 4.8 three-point field goals made per game.
THE BIG 3
Shatyra Hawkes, Ashley Wanninger and Jenna Crittendon have combined to account for 56.9 percent (35.8 points per game) of Xavier's scoring. The trio is also shooting .383 (237-of-618) from the floor and .338 (104-of-308) from long distance.
Sophomore Aliyah Zantt's 49 steals lead the team and are the most of any player in the BIG EAST this season.
• 1st in the BIG EAST in total steals with 49.
• 1st the BIG EAST in steals per game (2.5).
• Thru games played on Jan. 26, she ranked 62nd in the nation (2.42 steals per game).
• Registered a career-high six steals at DePaul this season (Jan. 1).
• Has 31 steals in the last nine games.
• Tallied multiple steals in 11 games this season.
• Has recorded three or more steals eight times this year.
• Has a steal in 36 of 49 career games, including 18 multi-steal performances.
• Reached 50 career steals in 41st career game (vs Indiana; Dec. 29).
• Currently has a steal in 19 of 20 games this season, including recording a theft in 12 straight contests.
BIG EAST Top Scoring Tandems (as of Jan. 27)
Seton Hall: RICHARDSON-SMITH/SIMMONS - 34.8
Georgetown: WHITE/COOPER - 32.1
Marquette: PLOUFFE/YOUNG - 31.1
DePaul: PENNY/ROGOWSKI - 30.9
Providence: RULE/HARRIS - 30.7
Creighton: JANNING/NELSON - 29.7
St. John's: HANDFORD/GRANT - 28.2
Butler: MCCLUNG/STRATMAN - 28.1
Xavier: HAWKES/WANNINGER - 25.1
Villanova: KANE/COYER - 22.3
• The duo has reached double figures in same game 11 times this season with Xavier going 6-5 in those contests.
Of the 13 Division I schools in the state of Ohio, the Musketeers (8-12) rank t-9th for the most victories in the state (thru games played on Jan. 26).
Wright St. 15-6
Ohio St. 13-10
Youngstown St. 9-9
Cleveland St. 8-11
Miami (OH) 6-12
Kent St. 3-15