Jan. 20, 2014
Game #19 - Xavier (8-10, 3-3 BIG EAST) vs. Seton Hall (11-5, 2-3 BIG EAST)
Game Notes: Xavier Notes | Seton Hall Notes
Date: Tuesday, January 21, 2014
Time: 7:00 p.m. ET
City: Cincinnati, Ohio
Site: Cintas Center (10,250)
Live Stats: GoXavier.com
Live Video: GoXavier.com
Talent: Mike Schmaltz (P-B-P), Rich Hoyt (Analyst)
Twitter: @Xavier_WBB | @XavierGameday
Twitter Hashtags: #LetsGoX
Current Streak: W 1
Last 5: 3-2
Last 10: 4-6
Home Record: 6-4
vs. Seton Hall: 1st Meeting
Up Next: at Villanova - Jan. 25 (2:00 p.m. ET)
AT A GLANCE
The Musketeers will look to go one game above .500 in conference play when they host the Pirates of Seton Hall on Tuesday night (Jan. 21). The BIG EAST Conference matchup is set to tip at 7 p.m. ET.
Following Tuesday night's matchup with Seton Hall, the Blue and White will hit the road for a pair of BIG EAST contests to close out the month. XU will face Villanova (Jan. 25) and St. John's (Jan. 29) to wrap up the month of January.
Head Coach: Brian Neal (Northern Kentucky `91)
Career Record: 179-41 (8th Season)
Record at Xavier: 8-10 (1st Season)
Head Coach: Anthony Bozzella (Seton Hall `89)
Career Record: 317-323 (21st Season)
Record at SHU: 11-5 (1st Season)
@XAVIER_WBB STARTING 5 QUICK HITS
#3 Shatyra Hawkes (G)
• Set a career-high in points (27) at Michigan (Nov. 13)
• 12th in the BIG EAST in points per game (14.2)
• Named to the 2013 Paradise Jam All-Tournament team
#13 Ashley Wanninger (G)
• Scored a career-high 26 points vs. Georgetown (Jan. 8)
• t-21st in points per game (11.8) in BIG EAST play
• 7th in the BIG EAST in 3-pointers made per game (1.9)
#35 Jenna Crittendon (G)
• Set a career-high in points (25) at Ohio (Nov. 10)
• 24th in points per game (10.8) in BIG EAST play
• 1st on the team and 8th in the BIG EAST in rebs. per game (7.2)
• Recorded her 3rd career double-double vs. Marquette (14 pts, 10 rebs)
#14 Briana Glover (F)
• Averaging 26.6 minutes per contest
• Shooting .409 from the field
• Scored a layup with 23 seconds left to force overtime at U-M (Nov. 13)
#23 Leah Schaefer (F)
• Finished with nine points and nine rebounds at Michigan (Nov. 13)
• Shooting .468 from the field
• 2nd on the team and 13th in the BIG EAST in rebs. per game (6.2)
Over the last eight seasons (270 games; since 2006-07 season), Xavier has made at least one three-pointer in 268 contests. XU's streak of 39 straight games with a triple (dating back to the 2012-13 season), was snapped vs. UC on Dec. 21, 2013.
The Musketeers have made 1,299 triples since the 2006-07 season, good for an average of 4.8 three-point field goals made per game.
THE BIG 3
Shatyra Hawkes, Ashley Wanninger and Jenna Crittendon have combined to account for 56.3 percent (36.4 points per game) of Xavier's scoring. The trio is also shooting .392 (217-of-554) from the floor and .342 (94-of-275) from long distance.
Sophomore Aliyah Zantt's 45 steals lead the team and are the most of any player in the BIG EAST this season.
• 1st in the BIG EAST in total steals with 45.
• 1st the BIG EAST in steals per game (2.5).
• Thru games played on Jan. 19, she ranked 50th in the nation (2.5 steals per game).
• Registered a career-high six steals at DePaul this season (Jan. 1).
• Has 27 steals in the last seven games.
• Tallied multiple steals in 10 games this season.
• Has recorded three or more steals seven times this year.
• Has a steal in 34 of 47 career games, including 17 multi-steal performances.
• Reached 50 career steals in 41st career game (vs Indiana; Dec. 29).
• Currently has a steal in 17 of 18 games this season, including recording a theft in 10 straight contests.
SHAKE AND BAKE
Seniors Shatyra Hawkes and Ashley Wanninger give XU one of the top scoring tandems in the conference. The duo is averaging a combined 25.6 points, 7.3 rebounds and 4.8 assists per game.
BIG EAST Top Scoring Tandems (as of Jan. 20)
Richardson-Smith/Simmons (Seton Hall) - 34.2 ppg
Plouffe/Young (Marquette) - 32.2 ppg
Butler/Cooper (Georgetown) - 31.7 ppg
Rogowski/Penny (DePaul) - 31.5 ppg
Rule/Harris (Providence) - 30.8 ppg
Janning/Nelson (Creighton) - 29.6 ppg
Handford/Brown (SJU) - 28.8 ppg
Stratman/McClung (Butler) - 28.5 ppg
HAWKES/WANNINGER (Xavier) - 25.6 ppg
• The duo has reached double figures in same game 10 times this season with Xavier going 6-4 in those contests.
Of the 13 Division I schools in the state of Ohio, the Musketeers (8-10) rank t-5th for the most victories in the state (thru games played on Jan. 19).
Wright St. 14-5
Ohio St. 12-9
Cleveland St. 8-9
Youngstown St. 8-9
Miami (OH) 5-11
Kent St. 3-13
PROTECT THIS HOUSE
XU is 167-51 over its 218-game run at Cintas Center since it opened prior to the 2000-01 season.
The Musketeers won their 150th game at Cintas Center with a 71-66 victory over visiting Morehead State on Dec. 6, 2011 (100th victory was 69-52 over Penn State 1/30/08).
70'S THE MAGIC NUMBER
Xavier has gone 138-9 over the last 12 seasons when scoring at least 70 points, including 6-1 this season. XU's losses when scoring 70+ points during that span:
- 82-79: overtime loss at Richmond on Jan. 5, 2004
- 74-72: loss to No. 22 Maryland on Dec. 4, 2004
- 76-72: loss at Charlotte on Jan. 3, 2006
- 82-71: loss at Florida to open Nov. 9, 2007
- 72-71: loss to Michigan on Dec. 14, 2009
- 85-75: loss to Louisville on Mar. 22, 2011
- 80-75: double overtime loss to Ohio on Dec. 19, 2011
- 77-73: overtime loss to Appalachian State on Nov. 30, 2012
- 94-88: loss to Ohio on Nov. 10, 2013
BEST JANUARY IN A WHILE
Xavier currently has three wins in January this season, which is the most wins the Musketeers have had in the month of January since the 2010-11 season (7-0).
Year Jan. Record