Head Coach Brian Neal
Jan. 17, 2014
Game #18 - Xavier (7-10, 2-3 BIG EAST) vs. Providence (6-10, 1-4 BIG EAST)
Game Notes: Xavier Notes | Providence Notes
Date: Saturday, January 18, 2014
Time: 2:00 p.m. ET
City: Cincinnati, Ohio
Site: Cintas Center (10,250)
Live Stats: GoXavier.com
Live Video: GoXavier.com
Talent: Mike Schmaltz (P-B-P), Rich Hoyt (Analyst)
Twitter: @Xavier_WBB | @XavierGameday
Twitter Hashtags: #LetsGoX
Current Streak: L 2
Last 5: 2-3
Last 10: 4-6
Home Record: 5-4
vs. Providence: 1st Meeting
Up Next: vs. Seton Hall - Jan. 21 (7:00 p.m. ET)
AT A GLANCE
The Musketeers will look to snap a two-game losing streak when they host the Friars of Providence on Saturday afternoon (Jan. 15). The BIG EAST Conference matchup is set to tip at 2 p.m. ET.
Following Saturday afternoon’s matchup with Providence, the Blue and White will host Seton Hall (Jan. 21) in the final January home contest of the season.
Head Coach: Brian Neal (Northern Kentucky ‘91)
Career Record: 178-41 (8th Season)
Record at Xavier: 7-10 (1st Season)
Head Coach: Susan Robinson Fruchtl (Penn State ‘92)
Career Record: 87-116 (7th Season)
Record at PC: 13-33 (2nd Season)
@XAVIER_WBB STARTING 5 QUICK HITS
#3 Shatyra Hawkes (G)
• Set a career-high in points (27) at Michigan (Nov. 13)
• 13th in the BIG EAST in points per game (14.1)
• Named to the 2013 Paradise Jam All-Tournament team
#13 Ashley Wanninger (G)
• Scored a career-high 26 points vs. Georgetown (Jan. 8)
• 23rd in points per game (11.2) in BIG EAST play
• 7th in the BIG EAST in 3-pointers made per game (1.8)
#35 Jenna Crittendon (G)
• Set a career-high in points (25) at Ohio (Nov. 10)
• 22nd in points per game (11.6) in BIG EAST play
• 1st on the team and 9th in the BIG EAST in rebs. per game (7.4)
• Recorded her 3rd career double-double vs. Marquette (14 pts, 10 rebs)
#14 Briana Glover (F)
• Averaging 26.4 minutes per contest
• Shooting .407 from the field
• Scored a layup with 23 seconds left to force overtime at U-M (Nov. 13)
#23 Leah Schaefer (F)
• Finished with nine points and nine rebounds at Michigan (Nov. 13)
• Shooting .461 from the field
• 2nd on the team and 15th in the BIG EAST in rebs. per game (6.1)
Over the last eight seasons (269 games; since 2006-07 season), Xavier has made at least one three-pointer in 267 contests. XU’s streak of 39 straight games with a triple (dating back to the 2012-13 season), was snapped vs. UC on Dec. 21, 2013.
The Musketeers have made 1,291 triples since the 2006-07 season, good for an average of 4.8 three-point field goals made per game.
THE BIG 3
Shatyra Hawkes, Ashley Wanninger and Jenna Crittendon have combined to account for 56.8 percent (36.4 points per game) of Xavier’s scoring. The trio is also shooting .387 (204-of-527) from the floor and .336 (88-of-262) from long distance.
Sophomore ALIYAH ZANTT’s 44 steals lead the team and are the most of any player in the BIG EAST this season.
• 1st in the BIG EAST in total steals with 44.
• 1st the BIG EAST in steals per game (2.6).
• Thru games played on Jan. 12, she ranked 41st in the nation (2.63 steals per game).
• Registered a career-high six steals at DePaul this season (Jan. 1).
• Has 26 steals in the last six games.
• Tallied multiple steals in 10 games this season.
• Has recorded three or more steals seven times this year.
• Has a steal in 33 of 46 career games, including 17 multi-steal performances.
• Reached 50 career steals in 41st career game (vs Indiana; Dec. 29).
• Currently has a steal in 16 of 17 games this season, including recording a theft in nine straight contests.
Of the 13 Division I schools in the state of Ohio, the Musketeers (7-10) rank t-8th for the most victories in the state (thru games played on Jan. 16).
Wright St. 13-5
Ohio St. 12-8
Cleveland St. 8-8
Youngstown St. 7-9
Miami (OH) 5-10
Kent St. 3-12
PROTECT THIS HOUSE
XU is 166-51 over its 217-game run at Cintas Center since it opened prior to the 2000-01 season.
The Musketeers won their 150th game at Cintas Center with a 71-66 victory over visiting Morehead State on Dec. 6, 2011 (100th victory was 69-52 over Penn State 1/30/08).
BEST JANUARY IN A WHILE
Xavier currently has two wins in January this season, which is the most wins the Musketeers have had in the month of January since the 2010-11 season (7-0).
Year Jan. Record