Jan. 10, 2014
The Last Meeting
November 25, 2006
St. Thomas, USVI
Women's Basketball Falls in Paradise Jam Championship
Senior guard Miranda Green led the Musketeers with 15 points but Xavier shot just 30.8 percent from the field and fell to Marquette by a 73-53 count on Saturday evening in the Championship Game of the 2006 Paradise Jam in St. Thomas, V.I. With the loss, XU falls from the ranks of the unbeaten and slips to 5-1 on the season. Marquette improves to 5-1.
Game #16 - Xavier (7-8, 2-1 BIG EAST) vs. Marquette (11-3, 2-1 BIG EAST)
Game Notes: Xavier Notes | Marquette Notes
Date: Saturday, January 11, 2014
Time: 2:00 p.m. ET
City: Cincinnati, Ohio
Site: Cintas Center (10,250)
Live Stats: GoXavier.com
Live Audio: GoXavier.com
Talent: Mike Schmaltz (P-B-B), Rich Hoyt (Analyst)
Twitter: @Xavier_WBB | @XavierGameday
Twitter Hashtags: #LetsGoX
Current Streak: W 2
Last 5: 2-3
Last 10: 5-5
Home Record: 4-3
vs. Marquette: 10th Meeting; MU leads 5-4
Up Next: at Creighton - Jan. 15 (8:05 p.m. ET)
AT A GLANCE
The Musketeers will look to extend their winning streak to three games when they host the Golden Eagles of Marquette at Cintas Center on Saturday, Jan. 11. The BIG EAST Conference matchup is set to tip at 2 p.m. ET.
Following Saturday afternoon’s matchup with Marquette, the Blue and White will head to Omaha, Neb. on Wednesday, Jan. 15 to battle Creighton for the first time in program history.
Xavier Head Coach: Brian Neal (Northern Kentucky ‘91)
Career Record: 178-39 (8th Season)
Record at Xavier: 7-8 (1st Season)
Head Coach: Terri Mitchell (Duquesne ‘89)
Career Record: 337-207 (18th Season)
Record at MU: Same
@XAVIER_WBB STARTING 5 QUICK HITS
#3 Shatyra Hawkes (G)
• Set a career-high in points (27) at Michigan (Nov. 13)
• 12th in the BIG EAST in points per game (14.6)
• Named to the 2013 Paradise Jam All-Tournament team
#13 Ashley Wanninger (G)
• Scored a career-high 26 points vs. Georgetown (Jan. 8)
• 18th in the BIG EAST in points per game (12.1)
• 10th in the BIG EAST in minutes per game (32.3)
• 6th in the BIG EAST in 3-pointers made per game (1.9)
#35 Jenna Crittendon (G)
• Set a career-high in points (25) at Ohio (Nov. 10)
• t-20th in the BIG EAST in points per game (11.2)
• 1st on the team and 9th in the BIG EAST in rebs. per game (7.1)
• Recorded her 2nd career double-double vs. Indiana (10 pts, 10 rebs)
#14 Briana Glover (F)
• Averaging 25.8 minutes per contest
• Shooting .398 from the field
• Scored a layup with 23 seconds left to force overtime at U-M (Nov. 13)
#23 Leah Schaefer (F)
• Finished with nine points and nine rebounds at Michigan (Nov. 13)
• Shooting .449 from the field
• 2nd on the team and 13th in the BIG EAST in rebs. per game (6.6)
Over the last eight seasons (267 games; since 2006-07 season), Xavier has made at least one three-pointer in 264 contests. XU’s streak of 39 straight games with a triple (dating back to the 2012-13 season), was snapped vs. UC on Dec. 21, 2013.
The Musketeers have made 1,277 triples since the 2006-07 season, good for an average of 4.8 three-point field goals made per game.
THE BIG 3
Shatyra Hawkes, Ashley Wanninger and Jenna Crittendon have combined to account for 58.5 percent (37.9 points per game) of Xavier’s scoring. The trio is also shooting .389 (187-of-481) from the floor and .330 (77-of-233) from long distance.
In XU’s 85-68 win over Georgetown on Jan. 8, senior sharp-shooter Ashley Wanninger knocked down five triples (5-of-8) to tie her career-high, which was set this season on Dec. 7 vs. Austin Peay. Wanninger knocked down all five of her triples in the first half (5-of-7) and finished the GU game with a career-high 26 points.
Sophomore ALIYAH ZANTT’s 38 steals lead the team and are the most of any player in the BIG EAST this season.
• 1st in the BIG EAST in total steals with 38.
• 1st the BIG EAST in steals per game (2.5).
• Thru games played on Jan. 6, she ranked 77th in the nation (2.36 steals per game).
• Registered a career-high six steals at DePaul this season (Jan. 1).
• Has 20 steals in the last four games.
• Tallied multiple steals in eight games this season.
• Has recorded three or more steals six times this year.
• Has a steal in 31 of 44 career games, including 15 multi-steal performances.
• Reached 50 career steals in 41st career game (vs Indiana; Dec. 29).
• Currently has a steal in 14 of 15 games this season, including recording a theft in seven straight contests.
SHAKE AND BAKE
Seniors Shatyra Hawkes and Ashley Wanninger give XU one of the top scoring tandems in the conference. The duo is averaging a combined 26.7 points, 7.6 rebounds and 4.5 assists per game.
BIG EAST Top Scoring Tandems (as of Jan. 10)
Richardson-Smith/Simmons (Seton Hall) - 34.3 ppg
Plouffe/Young (Marquette) - 32.7 ppg
Rogowski/Penny (DePaul) - 32.0 ppg
Butler/Cooper (Georgetown) - 31.0 ppg
Rule/Harris (Providence) - 30.9 ppg
Janning/Nelson (Creighton) - 28.6 ppg
Stratman/McClung (Butler) - 28.4 ppg
Handford/Brown (SJU) - 27.6 ppg
HAWKES/WANNINGER (Xavier) - 26.7 ppg
• The duo has reached double figures in same game eight times this season with Xavier going 5-3 in those contests.
Of the 13 Division I schools in the state of Ohio, the Musketeers (7-8) rank t-5th for the most victories in the state (thru games played on Jan. 9).
Wright St. 13-4
Ohio St. 11-7
Cleveland St. 6-8
Youngstown St. 5-9
Miami (OH) 4-9
Kent St. 3-10
PROTECT THIS HOUSE
XU is 166-50 over its 216-game run at Cintas Center since it opened prior to the 2000-01 season.
The Musketeers won their 150th game at Cintas Center with a 71-66 victory over visiting Morehead State on Dec. 6, 2011 (100th victory was 69-52 over Penn State 1/30/08).