Sophomore Aliyah Zantt leads the BIG EAST and the Musketeers in steals.
Jan. 7, 2014
Game #15 - Xavier (6-8, 1-1 BIG EAST) vs. Georgetown (6-8, 0-2 BIG EAST)
Game Notes: Xavier Notes | Georgetown Notes
Date: Wednesday, January 8, 2014
Time: 7:00 p.m. ET
City: Cincinnati, Ohio
Site: Cintas Center (10,250)
Live Stats: GoXavier.com
Live Video: GoXavier.com
Talent: Mike Schmaltz (P-B-P), Rich Hoyt (Analyst)
Twitter: @Xavier_WBB | @XavierGameday
Twitter Hashtags: #LetsGoX
Current Streak: W 1
Last 5: 1-4
Last 10: 4-6
Home Record: 4-3
vs. Georgetown: 2nd Meeting; XU leads 1-0
Up Next: vs. Marquette - Jan. 11 (2:00 p.m. ET)
AT A GLANCE
The Musketeers will look to win their second consecutive BIG EAST contest when they host the Hoyas of Georgetown at Cintas Center on Wednesday, Jan. 8. The BIG EAST Conference matchup is set to tip at 7 p.m. ET.
Following Wednesday night's matchup with Georgetown, the Blue and White host Marquette on Saturday, Jan. 11 to wrap up a seven-day, three-game homestand.
Xavier Head Coach: Brian Neal (Northern Kentucky `91)
Career Record: 177-39 (8th Season)
Record at Xavier: 6-8 (1st Season)
Head Coach: Jim Lewis (West Virginia `68)
Career Record: 263-303 (21st Season)
Record at GU: 6-8 (1st Season)
@XAVIER_WBB STARTING 5 QUICK HITS
#3 Shatyra Hawkes (G)
• Set a career-high in points (27) at Michigan (Nov. 13)
• 8th in the BIG EAST in points per game (15.1)
• Named to the 2013 Paradise Jam All-Tournament team
#13 Ashley Wanninger (G)
• Scored a career-high 25 points vs. Austin Peay (Dec. 7)
• t-22nd in the BIG EAST in points per game (11.1)
• 10th in the BIG EAST in minutes per game (32.3)
• 7th in the BIG EAST in 3-pointers made per game (1.7)
#35 Jenna Crittendon (G)
• Set a career-high in points (25) at Ohio (Nov. 10)
• t-22nd in the BIG EAST in points per game (11.1)
• 1st on the team and 9th in the BIG EAST in rebs. per game (7.3)
• Recorded her 2nd career double-double vs. Indiana (10 pts, 10 rebs)
#14 Briana Glover (F)
• Averaging 25.8 minutes per contest
• Shooting .381 from the field
• Scored a layup with 23 seconds left to force overtime at U-M (Nov. 13)
#23 Leah Schaefer (F)
• Tallied six points and three boards in her first collegiate game/start
• Finished with nine points and nine rebounds at Michigan (Nov. 13)
• Shooting .456 from the field
• 2nd on the team and 12th in the BIG EAST in rebs. per game (6.9)
Over the last eight seasons (266 games; since 2006-07 season), Xavier has made at least one three-pointer in 264 contests. XU's streak of 39 straight games with a triple (dating back to the 2012-13 season), was snapped vs. UC on Dec. 21, 2013.
The Musketeers have made 1,268 triples since the 2006-07 season, good for an average of 4.8 three-point field goals made per game.
THE BIG 3
Shatyra Hawkes, Ashley Wanninger and Jenna Crittendon have combined to account for 58.8 percent (37.3 points per game) of Xavier's scoring. The trio is also shooting .386 (174-of-451) from the floor and .319 (69-of-216) from long distance.
Sophomore Aliyah Zantt's 33 steals lead the team and are the most of any player in the BIG EAST this season.
• 1st in the BIG EAST in total steals with 33.
• 1st the BIG EAST in steals per game (2.4).
• Thru games played on Jan. 6, she ranked 77th in the nation (2.36 steals per game).
• Registered a career-high six steals at DePaul this season (Jan. 1).
• Tallied multiple steals in seven games this season.
• Has recorded three or more steals five times this year.
• Has a steal in 30 of 43 career games, including 14 multi-steal performances.
• Reached 50 career steals in 41st career game (vs Indiana; Dec. 29).
• Currently has a steal in 13 of 14 games this season, including recording a theft in six straight contests.
BIG EAST Top Scoring Tandems (as of Jan. 7)
Richardson-Smith/Simmons (Seton Hall) - 34.3 ppg
Plouffe/Young (Marquette) - 32.7 ppg
Butler/Cooper (Georgetown) - 31.1 ppg
Rule/Harris (Providence) - 30.7 ppg
Rogowski/Penny (DePaul) - 30.3 ppg
Janning/Nelson (Creighton) - 29.1 ppg
Handford/Brown (SJU) - 28.9 ppg
Stratman/McClung (Butler) - 28.8 ppg
HAWKES/WANNINGER (Xavier) - 26.2 ppg
• The duo has reached double figures in same game eight times this season with Xavier going 5-3 in those contests.
Of the 13 Division I schools in the state of Ohio, the Musketeers (6-8) rank 7th for the most victories in the state (thru games played on Jan. 6).
Wright St. 12-4
Ohio St. 11-7
Cleveland St. 5-8
Miami (OH) 4-8
Youngstown St. 4-9
Kent St. 3-9
XAVIER IN CONFERENCE OPENERS
In the last 11 seasons (since 2003-04), the Musketeers are 7-4 in conference openers at home. Since the 2003-04 season, the Blue and White are 5-6 in conference openers.
XU, who fell to DePaul, 87-60, in the 2013-14 BIG EAST Conference opener on Jan. 1 and defeated SJU, 70-65, in their BE home opener on Jan. 5, has won four of the last six conference openers on their home court.
PROTECT THIS HOUSE
XU is 165-50 over its 215-game run at Cintas Center since it opened prior to the 2000-01 season.
The Musketeers won their 150th game at Cintas Center with a 71-66 victory over visiting Morehead State on Dec. 6, 2011 (100th victory was 69-52 over Penn State 1/30/08).
70'S THE MAGIC NUMBER
Xavier has gone 136-9 over the last 12 seasons when scoring at least 70 points, including 3-1 in 2012-13. XU's losses when scoring 70+ points during that span:
- 82-79: overtime loss at Richmond on Jan. 5, 2004
- 74-72: loss to No. 22 Maryland on Dec. 4, 2004
- 76-72: loss at Charlotte on Jan. 3, 2006
- 82-71: loss at Florida to open Nov. 9, 2007
- 72-71: loss to Michigan on Dec. 14, 2009- 85-75: loss to Louisville on Mar. 22, 2011
- 80-75: double overtime loss to Ohio on Dec. 19, 2011
- 77-73: overtime loss to Appalachian State on Nov. 30, 2012
- 94-88: loss to Ohio on Nov. 10, 2013
THREE-POINTERS...TAKE `EM AND MAKE `EM
In XU's 70-65 victory over St. John's (Jan. 5), the 72-59 win over Austin Peay (Dec. 7) and in their 79-75 overtime win at Michigan (Nov. 13) the Musketeers knocked down double digit shots from behind the arc, marking just the second, third and fourth times the team has made double digit triples in a game since the 2011-12 season.
Season Games With Double Digit Three-Pointers