Ta'Shia Phillips Notches First Double-Double as Women's Basketball Downs Valpo
Nov. 18, 2007
Phillips' 25 came on 11-of-15 shooting and she also dropped three dimes on the afternoon. Six of her 12 rebounds came on the offensive glass. Junior guard Jerri Taylor joined Phillips in double figures with 16 points on 6-of-14 shooting, including 4-of-9 from deep. Taylor, who has scored in double-figures in all three of XU's games this season, also dished-out four assists without turning the ball over once.
Sophomore forward Maureen Hester put together her second-straight solid outing with eight points and seven rebounds. Classmate Amber Harris added seven points and six rebounds while recording game highs with three blocks and three steals.
The Musketeers took control of this contest immediately as the team charged out of the gate to build a 12-2 advantage just 6:16 into the game. Phillips scored six of XU's first 12 points to pace the squad.
Xavier would not let up and led by as many as 21, 29-8, with 6:15 remaining in the first half and led by 17, 34-17, at the break. All eight of Hester's points came before intermission and the Musketeers held the Crusaders to a paltry 17.9 percent (5-of-28) from the field in the first session.
Valpo trimmed the Xavier lead to 12 points, 57-45, after Sarah Ott buried a 3-pointer with 3:35 remaining in regulation. However, Xavier scored the next five points to squash any hopes of a Crusader comeback.
Xavier held a 43-to-39 rebounding edge, including a 33-to-25 advantage on the defensive glass. XU was dominant down low, out-scoring, Valpo by a 32-to-12 margin thanks in large part to the presence of Phillips and Harris.
Ott led the way for Valpo with 10 points and 10 rebounds.
XU will return to action at Friday, November 23 as they kick off the National City Invitational at
Sunday, November 18, 2007
· Freshman Ta'Shia Phillips earned her first double-double scoring 25 points and pulling down 12 rebounds in 23 minutes of play.
· Sophomore Alesia Barringer scored 16 points, breaking her career high 11 vs.
· With today's win, McGuff's record at Xavier improves to 108-51.
· Xavier continues its spotless record against
· Today's win marks the 52 consecutive home game win.
· Under Coach McGuff Xavier is 86-16 (.843) when leading or tied at halftime.
· Xavier improves to 91-23 at
· Xavier is 2-0 this season when out-rebounding its opponent and improves to 82-16 since the 2002-03 season when holding a rebounding edge.Amber Harris extended her school-record blocked shots total to 145.