Xavier 82, Duquesne 45
Jan. 14, 2009
CINCINNATI - The Xavier women's basketball team defeated the Duquesne Dukes by a score of 82-45 Wednesday evening at Cintas Center. Xavier improves to 14-4 (2-0 A-10) and the Dukes fall to 10-6 (0-1 A-10).
- Xavier junior Dee Dee Jernigan recorded her first double-double of the season, and thus her first as a Musketeer, with an 11 point - 15 rebound performance.
-Duquesne opened the first half with a 12-6 scoring run over the first 4:54 of play. Samantha Pollino closed the run with five straight points.
- Xavier answered the Duquesne run with an 18-2 run that reversed a 12-6 Duquesne lead into a 24-14 Xavier advantage at the 8:56 mark.
- Duquesne brought the XU lead down to six by the 6:48 mark but Xavier closed out the half with a 15-point advantage, 38-23.
- Duquesne shot a frigid 2-13 from the three-point line in the first half, a 15.4 shooting percentage.
- Xavier set a new season-high rebounding margin by out-rebounding the Dukes 60-23, a 37-rebound margin. The previous season high came against Akron when the Musketeers built a 29-rebound advantage.
- Xavier won the battle in the paint, scoring 42 points compared to Duquesne's 12.
- XU scored 15 second-chance points on 18 offensive rebounds. Duquesne snared seven offensive rebounds, converting them into five points.
- The largest Xavier lead came with 1:336 left to play when XU led the Dukes by a score of 82-43, a 39 point lead.
- Both Jernigan and junior April Phillips recorded double-doubles in the contest, with Phillips' being to the tune of 10 points and 10 rebounds. Xavier last had two players score double-doubles at Akron this season when Phillips went 12 and 12 while Ta'Shia Phillips went 14 and 11.