Senior Jimmy Roebker gave the No. 31 nationally-ranked player quite a match.
Jan. 23, 2014
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The Xavier men' s tennis team dropped its first dual match of the 2014 spring season against fifth-ranked Ohio State Wednesday, 7-0.
Out of the six singles matches that the musketeers competed in, senior Jimmy Roebker faced the only nationally-ranked singles player on Ohio State's roster, No. 31 Peter Kobelt, but unfortunately fell short in a tough two-set battle (7-6, 6-3).
Mesa Mei, Zach Mueck and Adam Krull all had solid opening performances against very good Ohio State opponents although scores were not in their favor. Mesa Mei fell to Herkko Pollanen in straight sets (6-4, 6-4), Zach Mueck (6-3, 6-4) to Kevin Metka, and Adam Krull Chris Diaz (6-2, 6-4).
In doubles competition the Musketeers had trouble mustering up a big win but still competed relentlessly. Mesa Mei and Jimmy Roebker matched up against No. 7 Peter Kobelt and Kevin Metka but could not piece together the win in tandem falling short with a score of (5-1). Adam Krull and Michael Moe also went down losing to a tough Hunter Callahan and Herkko Pollanen opponent (6-2). Lastly, Matt Bishop and Zach Mueck took their best rackets to face Chris Diaz and Ralf Steinbach but dropped their match with a score of (6-2).
"It is always fun playing Ohio State every year to open the season," Head Coach Eric Toth stated. "They have another very good team again. I felt we represented ourselves very well, especially at the top four positions. We need to get back to work the next couple days at practice and work on what is needed to take on a talented Eastern Kentucky team on Saturday."
The Musketeers will next take the court against Eastern Kentucky on Saturday, Jan. 25.
1. #31 Peter Kobelt (OSU) def. Jimmy Roebker (XU) 7-6, 6-3
2. Herkko Pollanen (OSU) def. Mesa Mei (XU) 6-4, 6-4
3. Kevin Metka (OSU) def. Zach Mueck (XU) 6-3, 6-4
4. Chris Diaz (OSU) def. Adam Krull (XU) 6-2, 6-4
5. Ralf Steinbach (OSU) def. Michael Moe (XU) 6-0, 6-1
6. Hunter Callahan (OSU) def. Freddy Abunku (XU) 6-0, 6-0
1. #7 Peter Kobelt/Kevin Metka (OSU) def. Jimmy Roebker/Mesa Mei 5-1
2. Hunter Callahan/Herkko Pollanen (OSU) def. Adam Krull/Michael Moe 6-2
3. Chris Diaz/Ralf Steinbach (OSU) def. Matt Bishop/Zach Mueck 6-2
Ohio State 1-0, Nationally Ranked No. 5
Order of finish: Singles (6,5,3,1,4,2) Doubles (3,2,Not Finished)