Adam Krull has begun his sophomore season with some noise.
Sept. 14, 2013
KALAMAZOO, Mich. - After an impressive performance on day one of the tournament, the Xavier men's tennis squad only managed eight wins out of their twenty-five matches today. Although play was below average, Xavier did have impressive wins over very good talent located at the Sorenson Courts.
Sophomore Adam Krull began the day by adding another win to his remarkable career at Xavier. Krull defeated Dougie Barnard in two straights of, 6-2. Krull then continued his win streak as he defeated Manuel Bellutti, 6-4, in the first set and, 6-2, in the second, of singles play. In doubles play Krull managed to get another win with teammate Michael Moe, dismantling Erik Brunskog and Rodrigo Oliveira of Illinois State, 8-2.
Matt Bishop went on to win his match over Illinois State's Muddappa Appanervanda, 6-1, and, 6-0. Fellow musketeers, Jeremy Schneider, Mesa Mei, Rob Torsch, and Jimmy Roebker also picked up singles play victories.
Head Coach Eric Toth spoke on the play of his players this afternoon stating, "The most important measuring stick for the entire weekend is effort and competitiveness and everyone has done a very good job of that over the first couple of days. Everybody can play better tennis, but it is obviously very early in the process. It's a new day tomorrow and everybody has an opportunity to compete and play well to leave here feeling good about their overall performance this weekend."
Due to possibility of rain in Kalamazoo, late tomorrow morning, the tournament will begin with singles play followed by doubles play.
1. Krull (XU) def. Barnard (ND) 6-2, 6-2
2. Islinger (UWGB) def. Abunku (XU) 6-0, 6-1
3. Phillips (WMU) def. Carman (XU) 6-3, 6-2
4. Bishop (XU) def. Appanervanda (ISU) 6-1, 6-0
5. Schneider (XU) def. Tebon (UWGB ) 6-4, 6-4
6. Hamilton (WMU) def. Torsch (XU) 6-4, 6-1
7. Bandy (ND) def. Moe (XU) 6-4, 6-3
8. Mei (XU) def. Brunskog (ISU) 6-3, 7-6 (4)
9. Scott (UWGB) def. Roebker (XU) 7-5, 7-5
10. Tenzer (UWGB) def. Mueck (XU) 6-1, 6-1
11. Krull (XU) def. Bellutti (CSU) 6-4, 6-2
12. Barnard (ND) def. Abunku (XU) 6-4, 4-6, 1-0 (3)
13. Wilson (ISU) def. Bishop (XU) 6-3, 6-4
14. Torsch (XU) def. Tebon (UWGB) 6-2, 6-1
15. Ford (CSU) def. Schneider (XU) 6-0, 6-1
16. Marks (CSU) def. Carman (XU) 2-6, 6-3, 1-0 (6)
17. Roebker (XU) def. Tenzer (UWGB) 6-4, 6-2
18. Bandy (ND) def. Mei (XU) 7-5, 6-2
19. Eisner (ISU) def. Moe (XU) 5-7, 6-4, 1-0 (8)
20. Brunskog (ISU) def. Mueck (XU) 6-2, 6-2
1. Shabib/Van Der Vloet (CSU) def. Roebker/Mei (XU) 8-2
2. Krull/Moe (XU) def. Brunskog/Oliveira (ISU) 8-2
3. Lawson/Dooley (ND) def. Mueck/Bishop (XU) 8-7 (7)
4. Leto/Tebon (UWGB) def. Abunku/Carman (XU) 8-6
5. Appanervanda/Wilson (ISU) def. Torsch/Schneider (XU) 8-3