Mesa Mei looks to improve on his stellar career at Xavier.
Sept. 14, 2013
KALAMAZOO, Mich. - The Xavier Musketeers received their first glimpse of the fall season as they traveled to Kalamazoo, Michigan to play in the first round of the Jack Vredevelt Invite. The Musketeers unleashed a series of wins in both singles and double play showing no sign of first tournament jitters.
In singles competition, Xavier tallied a total of six wins while only sacrificing three loses. In doubles competition, Xavier also tallied a total of three wins and sacrificing two loses respectively.
Senior Mesa Mei captured his first win of the season by defeating Wisconsin-Green Bay's Michael Tenzer in a three set battle. The first set ended with a 6-1 win by Mei. Mei then lost the second set in a tough battle, 6-7 (4), but then surged back to win the third set, 1-0 (6).
Sophomore Adam Krull continued his success from last season, tallying his first win this year over Norte Dame's Matt Dooley. Krull won the first set, 7-5, and the second, 6-3.
Senior Freddy Abunku and sophomore Brian Carman both had to play only two sets to pick up wins for the musketeers while sophomore Matt Bishop grinded out a tough win over Cleveland State's Matt Ford in three sets.
In doubles play, the veterans for Xavier, Jimmy Roebker and Mesa Mei untangled the chemistry between Norte Dame's Alex Lawson and Matt Dooley winning, 8-6. Adam Krull teamed up with Michael Moe to follow in the footsteps of the Xavier veterans, handling Stephen Payne and Zachary Phillips, 8-6. As the evening came to an end, the Musketeers won their last match as Abunku and Carman dismantled Cleveland State's Matt Kuelker and Nolan Marks, 8-6.
The musketeers will look to continue their success tomorrow morning as action resumes at 9:30 a.m.
1. Indre (WMU) def. Mueck (XU) 6-1, 6-2
2. Mei (XU) def. Tenzer (UWGB) 6-1, 6-7 (4), 1-0 (6)
3. Shabib (CSU) def. Roebker (XU) 6-3, 6-4
4. Krull (XU) def. Dooley (ND) 7-5, 6-3
5. Moe (XU) def. VanMeter (CSU) 6-1, 6-3
6. Abunku (XU) def. Appanervanda (ISU) 6-4, 6-3
7. Carman (XU) def. Merz (UWGB) 6-1, 6-2
8. Bishop (XU) def. Ford (CSU) 7-6 (6), 3-6, 1-0 (11)
9. Wilson (ISU) def. Torsch (XU) 6-3, 6-2,
1. Roebker/Mei (XU) def. Lawson/Dooley (ND) 8-6
2. Tenzer/Scott (UWGB) def. Mueck/Bishop (XU) 8-4
3. Krull/Moe (XU) def. Payne/Phillips (WMU) 8-6
4. Abunku/Carman (XU) def. Kuelker/Marks (CSU) 8-6
5. Cahn/Mora (WMU) def. Torsch/Schneider (XU) 8-3