Senior Mesa Mei concludes his career at Xavier holding the all-time record in singles wins.
April 26, 2014
FLUSHING MEADOWS, N.Y. - The Xavier men's tennis team was topped by St. John's, 5-0, Saturday afternoon at the BIG EAST Men's Championship presented by New York Life.
The Red Strom of St. John's came out ready to play and was not going to let anyone get in the way. St. John's quickly took the doubles point. Robert Livi and Michael-John Every defeated Matt Bishop and Zach Mueck, 8-3, and Erick Reyes and R. J. Del Nunzio, 8-3.
In singles competition, St. John's kept the momentum rolling. Lucas Hejhal defeated Mueck, 6-3, 6-2, at No. 3. At No. 5 position, Livi beat Bishop, 6-1, 6-4. Adam Krull dropped his match to Vaidik Munshaw, 6-2, 6-3, and Jimmy Roebker lost to Del Nunzio, 6-4, 6-1.
Xavier finished the season with a 14-11 record, and a 2-3 BIG EAST record. Seniors Mesa Mei and Roebker end their college career by rewriting the Xavier record book. Mei is at the top of men's all -time winning singles with a record of 97-41, beating Ra'ees Ismail who held a record with 90-50. Roebker concludes his career with 84 wins and 49 losses in singles and 84 wins and 36 losses. Mei and Roebker now tie for the all-time leading record in wins for doubles.
1. Nunzio (SJU) def. Roebker (XU) 6-3, 6-1
2. Reyes (SJU) leading Mei (XU), 6-3, 4-5
3. Hejhal (SJU) def. Mueck (XU), 6-3, 6-2
4. Munshaw (SJU) def. Krull (XU), 6-2, 6-3
5. Livi (SJU) def. Bishop (XU), 6-1, 6-4
6. Schneider (XU) leading Acevado (SJU) 6-2, 3-4
1. Munshaw/Hejhal (SJU) leading Mei/Roebker (XU), 6-4
2. Reyes/Del Nunzio (SJU) def. Krull/Schneider (XU), 8-3
3. Every/Livi (SJU) def. Bishop/Mueck (XU), 8-3
St. John's 5, Xavier 0
Xavier: 14-11, BIG EAST 2-3
St. John's: 14-7, BIG EAST 3-0
Order of Finish: Singles (5, 4, 1, 3) Doubles ( 2, 3)