Zach Mueck tallied win number fourteen to his singles record.
April 11, 2014
Indianapolis - The Xavier men's tennis team tallied another win to its record, by defeating BIG EAST foe, Butler, 6-1.
To begin the afternoon, Mesa Mei and Jimmy Roebker captured the first doubles point against Billy Weldon and Austin Woldmoe, 8-1. Matt Bishop and Zach Mueck followed, earning a tight win over Pulok Bhattacharya and Brandon Woods, 8-7(6). Adam Krull and Jeremy Schneider picked up the third doubles point in a nail biter, 8-7(9).
In singles, the Musketeers stayed hot, obtaining five wins. Roebker, Mei, Mueck, Krull and Schneider all retrieved wins, fighting tenaciously and displaying true Xavier tradition. Xavier now stands 12-10 overall and 2-2 in conference play.
"Today was a well-deserved, hard fought win" Head Coach Eric Toth commented. "Doubles was extremely tight and winning the point the way we did I felt was a big boost for us going into singles. It is great to earn another BIG EAST win and we'll have to wait and see how the last weekend plays out with some of the other teams that are playing one another to see where we will be in the draw in a couple of weeks. We have one more challenge against Northern Kentucky on Tuesday. It will be necessary to come out and play well to finish our regular season on a high note."
1. Jimmy Roebker (XU) def. Austin Woldmoe (BU) 7-6(4), 6-1
2. Mesa Mei (XU) def. Pulok Bhattacharya (BU) 6-2, 6-1
3. Zach Mueck (XU) def. Sam O'Neill (BU) 6-0, 7-6(0)
4. Adam Krull (XU) def. Tommy Marx (BU) 6-4, 2-6, 10-5
5. Brandon Woods (BU) def. Matt Bishop (XU) 4-6, 7-6(4), 10-5
6. Jeremy Schneider (XU) def. Billy Weldon (BU) 6-4, 2-6, 6-4
1. Mesa Mei/Jimmy Roebker (XU) def. Billy Weldon/Austin Woldmoe (BU) 8-1
2. Adam Krull/Jeremy Schneider (XU) def. Sam O'Neill/Tommy Marx (BU) 8-7(9)
3. Matt Bishop/Zach Mueck (XU) def. Pulok Bhattacharya/Brandon Woods (BU) 8-7(6)
Xavier 12-10, (2-2) BIG EAST
Butler 9-8, (0-2) BIG EAST
Order Of Finish: Singles (3,2,1,4,5,6) Doubles (1,3,2)