Zach Mueck's relentless play has earned him twelve wins this season.
April 4, 2014
Washington, D.C. - The Xavier men's tennis team captured its third win, on the road, and first win in conference by defeating BIG EAST opponent, Georgetown, 5-2.
In singles, Mesa Mei earned his fourteenth victory of the season by defeating Georgetown's Daniel Khanin in two sets, 6-0, 6-3. Jimmy Roebker followed up by overpowering Shane Korber in three sets, 4-6, 6-3, 10-7. Zach Mueck knocked off Alex Tropiano in a tough two set tiebreaker, 6-3, 7-6(3), giving him his twelfth win of the season. Jeremy Schneider also tallied a win, by edging off Jordan Portner, 6-2, 6-1.
In doubles, Mei and Roebker combined forces to defeat Casey Distaso and Daniel Khanin, 8-5. Matt Bishop and Mueck also teamed up to breach the chemistry between Jack Murphy and Jordan Portner, winning 8-2.
"I'm really pleased with today's outcome." Head Coach Eric Toth stated. "It is nice to get our first BIG EAST win. Georgetown's guys really compete well and play very hard and it took a really good effort on our guys part to come through today. Tomorrow we have another challenge in UMBC and will have to be at the same level or even better to earn another win."
1. Mesa Mei (XU) def. Daniel Khanin (GU) 6-0, 6-3
2. Jimmy Roebker (XU) def. Shane Korber (GU) 4-6, 6-3, 10-7
3. Zach Mueck (XU) def. Alex Tropiano (GU) 6-3, 7-6(3)
4. Jack Murphy (GU) def. Adam Krull (XU) 6-4, 6-3
5. Casey Distaso (GU) def. Freddy Abunku (XU) 6-3, 6-3
6. Jeremy Schneider (XU) def. Jordan Portner (GU) 6-2, 6-1
1. Mesa Mei/Jimmy Roebker (XU) def. Casey Distaso/Daniel Khanin (GU) 8-5
2. Shane Korber/Alex Tropiano (GU) def. Adam Krull/Jeremy Schneider (XU) 8-3
3. Matt Bishop/Zach Mueck (XU) def. Jack Murphy/Jordan Portner (GU) 8-2
Order of Finish: Singles (6,5,1,3,4,2) Doubles (3,2,1)