Zach Mueck won his tenth singles match of the season, Saturday.
March 30, 2014
MILWAUKEE, Wis., - The Xavier men's tennis team lost a tough battle to BIG EAST opponent, Marquette, Saturday afternoon, 4-3.
The Musketeers began the afternoon with great doubles play but allowed the Golden Eagles to rally back in singles. Zach Mueck and Freddy Abunku were the only Musketeers to record wins in singles competition.
In doubles, Mesa Mei and Jimmy Roebker (9-4) willed themselves to victory defeating Dan Mamalat and Vukasin Teofanovic, 8-6. Matt Bishop and Zach Mueck (6-4) also earned a win by knocking off Nick Dykema and Cameron Tehrani.
"After a great doubles point we simply dug ourselves into too big a hole at the start of singles." Head Coach Eric Toth stated. "You have to keep good teams like Marquette down when you have momentum on your side and tonight our opponent was able to turn the tide of the match way too quickly. Our team has a lot to work on to reach out full potential by year's end and we get three good opportunities to improve this coming week"
1. Dan Mamalat (MU) def. Mesa Mei (XU) 6-4, 6-1
2. Vukasin Teofanovic (MU) def. Jimmy Roebker (XU) 6-2, 6-4
3. Zach Mueck (XU) def. Logon Collins (MU) 6-1, 6-4
4. Nick Dykema (MU) def. Adam Krull 6-1, 6-1
5. Cameron Tehrani (MU) def. Jeremy Schneider (XU) 6-1, 6-3
6. Freddy Abunku (XU) def. Kristiyan Trukov (MU) 7-6(4), 2-6, 10-8
1. Mesa Mei/Jimmy Roebker (XU) def. Dan Mamalat/Vukasin Teofanovic (MU) 8-6
2. Logon Collins/Gleb Sklyr (MU) led Adam Krull/Jeremy Schneider (XU) 7-5
3. Matt Bishop/Zach Mueck (XU) def. Nick Dykema/Cameron Tehrani (MU) 8-7(4)
Order of Finish: Singles (4,5,2,3,1,6) Doubles (3,1,DNF)