Mesa Mei rallied to win the his match and losing the first set.
March 30, 2011
DAYTON, Ohio - The Xavier men's tennis defeated Wright State, 7-0, Wednesday on the road leading into its final weekend of Atlantic 10 conference play.
The Musketeers improve to 10-9 on the year and have now won four straight. Wright State drops to 10-7 on the year.
"Another really solid effort today by our guys," head coach Eric Toth said. "Wright State is always dangerous and we did a great job competing on each court today. This in no way was an easy match. We are playing confidently and really looking forward to closing out our A-10 regular season this weekend against Saint Louis and Dayton."
Seniors Bobby Deye and Jimmy Roebker won their singles matches in convincing fashion. Deye, playing as the No. 1, defeated Jan Alafriz 6-4, 6-4, while Roebker knocked off Martin Arguello, 6-1, 6-0. The two then teamed up to beat Alafriz and Brian Dredge 8-6 in the closest doubles match of the day.
Brandon MacDonald went to a decisive third set against Landon Neuman after winning the first. He would take the third set and the match, 6-3, 6-7(7), 6-3. Both Mesa Mei and Philip Diaz had to rally from a set down to take their match. Brian Starr also won his singles match, 6-2, 7-6(5).
Diaz and MacDonald won the Musketeers second doubles match 8-4. Marc Pretorius and Starr fell in their doubles match.
The Musketeers will face their final A-10 opponents of the regular season this weekend. Xavier will travel to face Saint Louis on Friday and will take on Dayton Sunday.
1) Bobby Deye (Xavier) def. Jan Alafriz (Wright State) 6-4, 6-4
2) Jimmy Roebker (Xavier) def. Martin Arguello (Wright State) 6-1, 6-0
3) Brandon MacDonald (Xavier) def. Landon Neuman (Wright State) 6-3, 6-7(6), 6-3
4) Mesa Mei (Xavier) def. Brian Dredge (Wright State) 5-7, 6-4, 6-2
5) Brian Starr (Xavier) def. Riyad Bennoui (Wright State) 6-2, 7-6(5)
6) Philip Diaz (Xavier) def. Michal Lyzwa (Wright State) 3-6, 6-3, 6-2
1) Bobby Deye/Jimmy Roebker def. Jan Alafriz/Brian Dredge (Wright State) 8-6
2) Philip Diaz/Brandon MacDonald def. Landon Neuman/Evan Neuman (Wright State) 8-4
3) Riyad Bennoui/Michal Lyzwa (Wright State) def. Marc Pretorius/Brian Starr 8-5