Senior Jeremy Miller picked up both a singles and doubles win over Duquesne.
March 17, 2007
PITTSBURGH, Pa. - The Xavier men's tennis won the first of two conference match-ups in Pittsburgh, Pa. on Friday afternoon, beating Duquesne 6-1. The Musketeers won five singles matches and two doubles pairings in improving to 6-9 on the season and 3-1 in A-10 play. XU takes on Saint Joseph's on Saturday in the Steel City.
Sophomore Doug Matthews and Ra'ees Ismail, senior Jeremy Miller and freshman J.T. Torbeck each went 2-0 in the match. Matthews rolled over Paul Clough 6-3, 6-3 in No. 1 singles, while Miller needed three sets to get by Michael Ortega 6-3, 3-6, 6-2 in second singles. The No. 1 doubles pairing of Matthews and Miller defeated Clough and Adam Townsend by an 8-6 count.
Ismail picked up a win in third singles, downing Townsend 6-4, 6-4. The No. 4 singles draw was won by Torbeck over Jeremy McClelland 2-6, 7-5, 6-4. That doubles pairing of Ismail and Torbeck defeated McClelland and Mark Maciuch 8-1.
Brian Schubert picked up XU's final singles win as he downed Gustavo Villares 6-3, 6-7 (5), 6-1.
Xavier 6, Duquesne 1
1. Doug Matthews (XU) def. Paul Clough (DU) 6-3, 6-3
2. Jeremy Miller (XU) def. Michael Ortega (DU) 6-3, 3-6, 6-2
3. Ra'ees Ismail (XU) def. Adam Townsend (DU) 6-4, 6-4
4. J.T. Torbeck (XU) def. Jeremy McClelland (DU) 2-6, 7-5, 6-4
5. Mark Maciuch (DU) def. Mike Dieciuc (XU) 6-3, 6-7 (5), 6-2
6. Brian Schubert (XU) def. Gustavo Villares (DU) 6-3, 6-7 (6), 6-1
1. Matthews/Miller (XU) def. Clough/Townsend (DU) 8-6
2. Ismail/Torbeck (XU) def. McClelland/Maciuch (DU) 8-1
3. Ortega/Weisband (DU) def. Dieciuc/Palmenter (XU) 8-6