Junior Freddy Abunku earned his first win of the season against Bryant.
Feb. 1, 2014
PROVIDENCE, R.I. - After a long day of travel, this afternoon, the men's tennis team faced up against a good Brown squad in their first match-up of its double header exclusive.
The Musketeers put up a good fight against the bears but unfortunately went down 6-1.
Mesa Mei was the only Musketeer to capture a win after defeating Brandon Burke in two straight sets 6-1, 6-4.
"Brown played a more complete match than us today and deserved to win more than we did." Head coach Eric Toth stated. "We got a couple of pretty good performances this afternoon, but only a couple people committing to the cause will never cut it, not against good teams. The goal tonight against Bryant will be to totally invest in a complete performance from top to bottom. If we can perform and compete to that level we feel good about how we can wrap up our day today.
The men's tennis team did come to respond in its second match of the double header, squaring off against Bryant. The Musketeers pounded the scrappy team, winning in remarkable fashion 7-0.
All Musketeers that competed in both singles and doubles were graced with wins this evening.
"I feel really good for the guys that they were able to earn their first win tonight." Stated Toth. "Bryant is a very scrappy team. The 7-0 score does not tell the story of how competitive of a match it was. We look to go into tomorrow's match with Binghamton with some confidence. They are a talented team with consecutive conference championships to their credit and it will take quite a team effort to beat them. I'm confident our guys will be up to the task."
The men will look to continue their impressive play, Feb. 1st, against Binghamton at 6:00 p.m.
1. Justin To (Brown) def. Jimmy Roebker (XU) 6-4, 6-4
2. Mesa Mei (XU) def. Brandon Burke (Brown) 6-1, 6-4
3. Gregory Garcia (Brown) def. Zach Mueck (XU) 2-6, 6-0, 6-2
4. Sam Fife (Brown) def. Adam Krull (XU) 6-1, 2-6, 6-4
5. William Spector (Brown) def. Michael Moe (XU) 6-1, 6-1
6. Lucas Da Silveira (Brown) def. Matt Bishop (XU) 6-4, 6-1
1. Lucas Da Silveira/Justin To (Brown) def. Mesa Mei/Jimmy Roebker (XU) 6-3
2. Daniel Hirschberg/Gregory Garcia (Brown) def. Adam Krull/ Michael Moe (XU) 6-4
3. Brandon Burke/ William Spector (Brown) def. Matt Bishop/Zach Mueck (XU) 6-5(3)
Order of Finish: Singles (2,3,1,4,5,6) Doubles (2,3,1)
1. Mesa Mei (XU) def. Juan Gonzalez-Pazziale (Bryant) 6-5(5), 6-2
2. Jimmy Roebker (XU) def. Zachary Morris (Bryant) 4-6, 6-1, 6-1
3. Zach Mueck (XU) def. Max Vogt (Bryant) 6-3, 6-5(2)
4. Adam Krull (XU) def. Oliver Welsh (Bryant) 6-4, 2-6, 6-4
5. Freddy Abunku (XU) def. Christian Duarte (Bryant) 6-5(4), 6-4
6. Jeremy Schneider (XU) def. Ernesto Arguello (Bryant) 6-4, 5-6(5) 10-7
1. M. Mei/Z. Mueck (XU) def. Zachary Morris/Juan Gonzalez-Pazziale (Bryant) 6-4
2. A. Krull/M.Moe (XU) def. Oliver Welsh/Max Vogt (Bryant) 6-2
3. B. Carman/J. Roebker (XU) led Ernesto Arguello/Christian Duarte (Bryant) DNF
Order of Finish: Singles (3,2,1,4,5,6) Doubles (2,1,DNF)