Zach Mueck was one of two musketeers to earn a win in singles competition.
Jan. 25, 2014
RICHMOND, Kentucky - Saturday morning the men's tennis team lost a heartbreaker as they fell to Eastern Kentucky, 4-3. Xavier lost its last three singles matches, which allowed the Colonels to storm back into competition and knock off the Musketeers.
Sophomores Zach Mueck and Adam Krull were the only Musketeers to tally wins in singles competition in Richmond. Mueck defeated Daridge Saidi in a tough three set battle (6-3, 3-6, 6-1). Krull soon followed, edging off Joao Maio in two sets (6-4, 6-0).
In doubles, Mesa Mei and Jimmy Roebker teamed up to defeat Juanjo de la Llera and Daridge Saidi (6-3). Krull and Michael Moe also handled their business as they captivated a victory against Alex Alvaro and Diego Asis (6-3) but it wasn't enough to get the win over the colonels.
"We just came up a few point short today," head coach Eric Toth noted. "Eastern Kentucky played the bigger points much better as a whole all day, competed better, and deserved the win today. We'll keep working hard to get things going in the right direction. We'll have to as it gets no easier as challenge after challenge awaits."
The Musketeers will play again Jan. 31st for a doubleheader against Brown and Bryant. Lets Go X!
1. Juanjo de la Llera (EKU) def. Jimmy Roebker (XU) 6-4, 6-2
2. Alex Alvaro (EKU) def. Mesa Mei (XU) 6-3, 4-6, 6-4
3.Zach Mueck (XU) def. Daridge Saidi (EKU) 6-4, 3-6, 6-1
4. Adam Krull (XU) def. Joao Maio (EKU) 6-3, 6-0
5. Florian Graskamp (EKU) def. Michael Moe (XU) 6-4, 3-6, 6-3
6. Diego Asis (EKU) def. Freddy Abunku (XU) 2-6, 6-3, 6-5(3)
1. Mesa Mei/Jimmy Roebker (XU) def. Juanjo de la Llera/Saidi (EKU) 6-3
2. Adam Krull/Michael Moe (XU) def. Alex Alvaro/Diego Asis (EKU) 6-3
3. Matt Bishop/Zach Mueck (XU) vs. Florian Graskamp/Joao Maio (EKU) 5-5 DNF
Order of Finish: Singles (1,4,3,2,6,5) Doubles (2,1, DNF)