NCAA.com To Stream Xavier's NCAA Tournament Berth
Nov. 14, 2011
Xavier A-10 and NCAA Tournament Notes
- Xavier (12-4-4, 4-3-2 Atlantic 10) repeated as Atlantic 10 Champions on Sunday after defeating George Washington on necessary penalty kicks, 4-3. The match ended in a 1-1 draw.
- The Musketeers earned their second conference championship and the Atlantic 10's automatic berth in the NCAA Tournament. The 48-team field will be announced on NCAA.com beginning at 4:30 p.m. EST.
- It was the second straight season that the Musketeers, playing as the six seed again, defeated the top three seeds on the way to the league title. They beat No. 8 Charlotte, 2-1, in overtime on Thursday and knocked off the tournament's top-seed, Fordham, 2-0 on Friday.
- The Musketeers are the first back-to-back Atlantic 10 Champions since Rhode Island won the title in 2005 and 2006.
- Xavier is now 4-3-2 all-time in the Atlantic 10 Championship, and are 4-0-2 in the last two seasons. In the last six tournament games, Xavier has allowed just two goals. Both of those ties have been broken on penalty kicks.
- Sophomore defender Adar Cohen was named the tournament's Most Outstanding Player. He was also named to the TopDrawerSoccer.com National Team of the Week. Cohen played an important role in the Musketeers' defense and also netted the final penalty kick against George Washington.
- Each of Xavier's five goals in the tournament was scored by different players. Junior Luke Spencer and redshirt freshman Will Walker scored against No. 8 Charlotte, junior James Queree and sophomore Nick Hagglund had goals versus Fordham, and freshman Garrett Halfhill had the crucial equalizer against George Washington.
- Sophomore Gino Depaoli became the fifth player in A-10 postseason history to register three assists. He had both assists against Fordham and was responsible for the corner kick that set up the tying goal against George Washington.
- Sophomore Adar Cohen and Gino Depaoli, and juniors Luke Spencer and James Queree were named to the Atlantic 10 All-Championship Team. It was the first A-10 tournament team honors for Cohen, DePaoli and Queree, and the second for Spencer.
- Last year's NCAA Tournament resulted a 4-2 loss to West Virginia on Nov. 18 in Morgantown, W.Va. Junior defender James Queree scored and Xavier benefitted from an own goal.
- The Musketeers are 0-1-1 all-time in the NCAA Tournament.
- Xavier is 22-11-8 (.702) in two years under head coach Andy Fleming, whose team has racked up more wins in the previous two years than the past four combined (20).
- One more win would give Xavier a new school-record for wins in a season. Twelve wins has been achieved once before by the Musketeers. In 1994 Xavier went 12-8 in its final year in the Midwestern City Conference.