Xavier's First NCAA Tournament Game Ends In 4-2 Defeat

Queree netted XU's first goal

Queree netted XU's first goal

Nov. 18, 2010

Box Score |  Photo Gallery 

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. - The Xavier men's soccer team's miracle run came to a bitter end Thursday night as West Virginia came back to win 4-2, in the school's NCAA Tournament debut at Dick Dlesk Soccer Stadium.

The Musketeers finished one of the best seasons in school history 10-7-4, which included the program's first Atlantic 10 Championship. Their 10 wins this season doubled the total from the previous two years.

"A disappointing end to what was a weird game," Fleming said. "As much as you want to get a lead early, I think our second goal altered our mentality as our eyes got really big and we tried to score a third goal, yet at other times we sat in too much. Had it been just 1-0 for most of the half, I think we would have done a better job staying within our system defensively and had a more "normal" game. Regardless, we still were tied at halftime and were very much knocking on their door when it was 3-2, only to allow the fourth goal which broke our back."

Xavier wasted no time getting on the board as they scored twice in the first five minutes of action. The Mountaineers (11-6-2) would reply with four unanswered goals to advance to face No. 3 Akron at 4 p.m. Sunday.

James Queree put the Musketeers on the board in the 3rd minute of the game redirecting Luke Spencer's header. James Getzen curved the ball beautifully to the 6-foot-2 sophomore who flicked towards net, before Queree sent it high over the keeper.

The Musketeers would go up 2-0 just two minutes later when a crossing shot from the far end line, went across the front of the net into a crowed box and off a West Virginia player, who was trying to clear the ball.

West Virginia cut the lead in half in the 23rd minute when Franck Tayou cleaned up a chip shot rebound, that Justin Marshall could not corral after a diving save. Tayou would pull the Mountaineers even with a leaping goal in the 32nd minute.

He came back in the opening minutes of the second half to collect the natural hat trick and give the Mountaineers the 3-2 advantage. The Mountaineers' Uwem Etuk tacked on the fourth goal in the 82nd minute as Xavier was unable to clear the ball from its end.

"WVU is an athletic team and is pretty free flowing in how they attack, which means they don't really have any true tendencies or patterns," Fleming said. "This made it tough to game plan defensively, yet in the end I think a few of their goals could have been prevented by us."

Seniors El-Hadji Dieng, James Getzen, Andy Dimbi, Brandon Bucher, Bryan Kanu and juniors Ryan Gray, Ryan Englemann and Andrew Boisvert played their final game in a Musketeer's uniform and leave with program at its highest level in 37 years.

"Without a question, I am the proudest college soccer coach in America tonight, and Xavier is now on the map," Fleming said. "I want to thank the players and their families for a wonderful ride and helping me learn and grow as a first-year head coach. Above all, I commend our seniors for leaving a legacy that we will begin to build on two weeks from now. The future is bright and we will be back."