Musketeers' senior class becomes winningest in school history
Cory Brown Trains With New Zealand National Team
Cincinnati Native Is One Of The Top Rookies In The MLS
Musketeers Face Eight Teams That Made NCAA Tournament In 2013
Musketeers Add 10 To The Roster For Upcoming Season
Xavier men's soccer players, past and present, and head coach Andy Fleming talked to GoXavier.com about the importance of the event and how much it means to the program.
The Xavier men's soccer season that included a record for most wins came to an end on Sunday after a 4-1 loss to Indiana in the NCAA Men's Soccer Championship Second Round at Bill Armstrong Stadium.
Mini Muskies had its biggest turnout yet in the three years since Andy Fleming was named the head coach of the men's soccer team. The camp is a combination of soccer skills, games, and fun.
There is still work to be done but the Xavier University Soccer Complex renovation is nearing completion. See the newest updates including the laying of the turf.
All For One raffle tickets are now available for purchase on GoXavier.com. Purchase one ticket for $50 or three tickets for $100 and enter yourself for a chance to win $25,000.
As a Coach:
Boston University (1998-2007)
Northwestern University (2007-2010)
Xavier University (2010-present)
- Since 2012, has led Xavier to two top-10 national rankings, two top-25 MLS SuperDraft selections, four NCAA Tournaments, an NCAA Tournament Sweet 16, five straight 10-plus win seasons in addition to leading the nation in fewest yellow cards and a top-10 team GPA.
- Has assembled 13-straight top-40 recruting classes, signing an NSCAA High School Player of the Year, a Parade All-American and five Gatorade State Players of the Year. These recruits hail from 33 different states and 13 uniquecountries.
- Has coached 11 All-Americans, eight Conference Players of the Year and nine MLS Draft picks.
- Three former players have gone on to U.S. Men's National Team appearances, while four currently play in MLS. Ryan Johnson, a seven-year MLS veteran, currently competes in Japan's Super League.
- Received Ohio Division I Coach of the Year Award in 2012, while receiving votes for National Coach of the Year in 2010 and 2012. Named 2009 Great Lakes Assistant Coach of the Year by the NSCAA and was a finalist for National Assistant Coach of the Year.
- Has compiled a career record of 61-28-17 (.656), making him the winningest coach in Xavier history based on winning percentage. His .656 mark ranks among the nation's top-20 for active Div. I coaches with at least five years of experience.
- Led the 2014 BIG EAST Coaching Staff of the Year, which helped XU set program records for wins (15), shutouts (11) and team GAA (0.84). The Musketeers appeared in their first-ever BIG EAST Championship match, hosted their first-ever NCAA Tournament match and reached the third round of the national tourney for the first time during a landmark season.
- Coached Xavier to its highest-ever NSCAA ranking (No. 9) during the 2014 season, while the team's final ranking of No. 13 was the best-ever for the program.
- Guided Xavier NCAA Tournament appearances in four of the past five seasons, including a trip to the program's first-ever Sweet 16 in 2014. XU made threestraight NCAA Tournament appearances from 2010-12 and won back-to-back Atlantic 10 Championships in 2010 and 2011. In 2012, Fleming led XU to its first-ever NCAA Tournament win over Kentucky.
- XU has made fourof the past fiveNCAA Tournaments, making the program one of just 19nationally to achieve the feat.
- The program's 61wins since 2010 rank in the top-10 nationally, while the Musketeers are one of just 15programs to have fivestraight 10-win seasons. Fleming is the currently the youngest coach to have led his team to such feats.
- The Musketeers are one of just seven programs to boast multiple top-25 selections in the MLS SuperDraft during the past two seasons. Nick Hagglund (10th overall, 2014) became the second first-rounder in program history this year when he went to Toronto FC. Luke Spencer (22nd overall, 2013) was drafted by New England the year before. 2014 grad Matt Walker also signed with the Columbus Crew following his playing career at XU.
- In 2010, Xavier made the biggest turnaround in NCAA Division I with 10 wins following a two-win season in 2009. It was among the biggest turnarounds in D-I soccer during the decade.
- XU was ranked in a national poll in 25 consecutive weeks from 2011-13, peaking at a No. 9 ranking in 2012.
- The team set a then-program record with 14 wins in 2012, while the No. 9 ranking was the first top-10 ranking by a non-basketball program in Xavier history.
- Coached Xavier's first-ever All-American, Nick Hagglund, who was named A-10 Defender of the Year in 2012 and received the same award from the BIG EAST in 2013.
- Teams have captured fivestraight NSCAA Team Academic Awards, as well as eightin the past nineyears. The 2013 side had the third-highest GPA in NCAA Division I and the highest private school GPA in NCAA Division I. Nationally, only Cal Tech and MIT were superior.
- Xavier led NCAA Division I in lowest foul/yellow card combination and received the NSCAA Fair Play Award in 2012. The team has ranked in the top-five in the statistic for each of the past three seasons. In both 2012 and 2013, the Musketeers received an NSCAA Team Ethics Award of Merit.
- In 2013, Xavier had the third-best combination of fair-play rating, team GPA and RPI in the nation -- bettered only by Notre Dame and New Mexico.
- Appeared in three consecutive NCAA Tournaments, including a trip to the Final Eight in 2008 and Round of 16 in 2009. Northwestern had three-straight top-10 finishes in the polls during that time, including a No. 1 ranking in 2009.
- Paired with its NSCAA Team Academic Awards and NCAA Tournament success, NU was the nation's most well-round program during those seasons.
- Mentoredthree NU players to the MLS, including two Big 10 Players of the Year and two All-Americans. Upon his departure, his three recruiting classes went on to win back-to-back Big 10 Championships in 2011 (regular season and tournament) and 2012 (regular season).
Boston University Highlights
- Part of three conference championship teams at BU. Teams made Top-25 appearances in five of those years, including a No. 9 ranking in 2002.
- Recognized as part of America East Coaching Staff of the Year in 2001 and 2004.
- BU recruit Andy Dorman was one of four All-Americans and four America East Players of the Year during Fleming's tenure at BU. Dorman is currently in his 12th season of professional soccer, playing with the New England Revolution. He also had stint in the Premier League of Scotland as well as with Crystal Palace of England's Championship League.
- After Fleming's departure in 2007, BU went on to win two more America East titles and qualified for two more NCAA Tournaments. His former recruits won two more America East Player of the Year awards during that time.
- Four-year letterwinner and two-year team captain at Marist College.
- First-ever Boston Globe All-Scholastic Award Winner and Division I scholarship recipient from Archbishop Williams.
- Inducted into AWHS Hall of Fame in 2004.
- Born December 27, 1974 in Boston, Mass.
- Graduated from Marist College in 1997 with bachelor's of science in management. Working toward a master's in sports administration at Northwestern.
- Andy and his wife, Amy, have four children: Braden (5), Devin (3), Quinlan (1) and Fiona (born in June of 2014).
- Andy and his family reside in Mariemont, Ohio.
Community Service and Speaking Engagements
- An advocate forDown's Syndrome awareness, Andy and his wife, Amy, created "Devin's Team" to raise awareness and fundraise in the Cincinnati-area. The team has grown into one of the largest and top-earning in the Midwest.
- Named an honory Board of Trustees member for the Hamilton County Special Olympics in 2014.
- Has been a guest speaker for Proctor and Gamble, Cincinnati Special Olympics, Northwestern University Graduate programs and Xavier's All For One club.
- Has been featured in NCAA Magazine, Xavier Alumni Magazine as well asCoach and AD.