No. 22 Xavier Wraps Up 2008 Against Robert Morris
Dec. 30, 2008
Robert Morris University Colonials (6-6)
Television: Fox Sports Ohio with play-by-play from Brad Johansen and analysis from former Musketeer captain Steve Wolf (Xavier ‘83). The half-hour “Musketeers Live” pre-game show is hosted by Ray Crawford.
Radio: 700 WLW-AM with play-by-play from XU Hall of Famer and former Musketeer standout Joe Sunderman (‘79). Analysis will be provided by Xavier Hall of Famer and XU all-time leading scorer Byron Larkin (‘88).
Next for X: Xavier visits Virginia on Sat., Jan. 3 for a 2 p.m. tilt.
Xavier Media Information: Contact associate athletic director for media relations Tom Eiser -- email: firstname.lastname@example.org, offi ce: 513-745-3124, cell: 513-382-5565, fax: 513-745-2825.
THE X’S AND O’S
• Xavier, 9-2, is ranked fifth in the latest RPI ratings for collegerpi.com (12-30-08). One reason for the high ranking is that XU’s strength of schedule is ranked second in the nation, trailing only fellow Atlantic 10 Conference member Temple (No. 26 in the RPI). XU’s only losses have come to RPI number two (Butler) and RPI number four (Duke).
• Xavier’s final non-conference games are Robert Morris, at Virginia this Saturday and Jan. 24 at Louisiana State.
• Xavier is 9-2 heading into its final game before the New Year. By comparison, XU was 10-3 prior to the New Year last season on the way to a record-setting 30-7 season.
• Xavier, 9-2, has lost two straight games, including to then-No. 6 Duke on December 20 at the Izod Center in East Rutherford, N.J., and December 23 at Cintas Center against Butler. The loss to Butler snapped a 15-game home court winning streak.
• Xavier junior Derrick Brown has averaged 18.0 ppg. and shot 56.9 percent from the field over the last six games, including 57.1 (12-of-21) from three-point territory. Brown averaged 10.6 ppg., while shooting 44.7 percent overall and 30.8 percent (4-of- 13) from three-point land over the first five games.
• Xavier, 9-2, is now 22nd in the Associated Press Poll and the ESPN/USA Today Coaches Poll. XU was 14th and 12th, respectively, in those polls last week.
• Xavier’s 9-0 start was the second-best start in Xavier history and the best since the school-record 10-0 start of the 1996-97 season. XU’s 9-0 start was the best start ever under fifth-year head coach Sean Miller.
• Xavier’s Sean Miller picked up his 100th career win on December 3 against Auburn. Miller is 102-41 (.713) in five seasons at the helm. Miller has moved into third place on XU’s all-time wins list for head coaches.
• Xavier is one of only nine schools that have made the NCAA Tournament Elite Eight multiple times in the last five years: North Carolina (3), UCLA (3), Kansas (3), Memphis (3), Xavier (2), Louisville (2), Texas (2), Florida (2) and Connecticut (2). XU made its third straight NCAA appearance in 2008. XU has won at least 20 games in three straight seasons and 11 times in 12 years.