Tu Holloway scored a game-high 26 points on Friday.
Dec. 24, 2011
No. 14/15 Xavier University Musketeers (8-3) vs. Southern Illinois University Salukis (3-7)
Sun., Dec. 25 @ 9 a.m. HT (2 p.m. ET)
Hawaiian Airlines Diamond Head Classic
Stan Sheriff Center (10,300) in Honolulu, Hawaii
Television/Live Stream: ESPN3 with play-by-play from Kanoa Leahy and analysis from Doug Gottlieb.
Radio: 700 WLW-AM with play-by-play from XU Hall of Famer and former Musketeer standout Joe Sunderman (‘79). Analysis will be provided by Xavier Hall of Famer and XU all-time leading scorer Byron Larkin (‘88).
• Xavier, 8-3 and ranked 14th in the AP Poll and 15th in the ESPN/USA Today Coaches Poll, suffered its third straight defeat with an 84-82 overtime loss to host Hawaii on Friday. Xavier led by 15 points in the second half but couldn’t hold the lead.
• Xavier has lost three straight for the first time since the 2004-05 season. XU began the season 8-0, which is just two wins shy of XU’s best-ever start (10-0 in 1996-97).
• Xavier senior All-American Tu Holloway leads the team in scoring at 18.4 ppg. following his game-high 26-point effort on Friday against Hawaii. Holloway also leads the team in assists (4.9 apg.), steals (2.4 spg.) and free throw percentage (.821).
• Xavier junior Mark Lyons returned for the Hawaii game after serving his two-game suspension. Lyons, who scored 18 points versus UH on Friday, is second on the team in scoring at 17.4 ppg., assists at 2.7 apg. and steals at 1.4 spg.
• Xavier freshman Justin Martin made his first two collegiate starts in the last two games. He scored a career-high 12 points to go with four rebounds against Long Beach State on Dec. 22 and grabbed a career-high nine rebounds in a career-high 29 minutes of action versus Hawaii on Dec. 23.
• Xavier senior Kenny Frease, who posted a double-double with 13 points and 13 rebounds to go with four blocks in the 76-63 win over Cincinnati on Dec. 10, is tied for third on the team in scoring at 9.5 ppg. and is third in rebounding at 5.7 rpg. Frease leads the team in blocks at 1.9 per game.
• Xavier graduate student Andre Walker has started 10 games in his first season in a Musketeer uniform, including each of the last nine games. He has played in all 11 games, averaging 5.2 points, 6.2 rebounds (second on the team) and 2.0 assists per game.
• Xavier junior Travis Taylor leads the team in rebounding at 6.5 rpg. despite being fifth on the team in minutes played per game.
• Xavier will have its full roster active beginning with the Gonzaga game on Dec. 31. Freshman and third-leading scorer Dezmine Wells serves the fourth and final game of his suspension with the Southern Illinois game. Senior Tu Holloway missed the Dec. 18 game against Oral Roberts and junior Mark Lyons missed the ORU game and the Dec. 22 game against Long Beach State due to suspensions.
• Xavier has been a regular recently on the ESPN networks. In fact, eight of Xavier’s last nine games to close out the calendar year of 2011 have been or will be on the ESPN family of networks. ESPN networks is covering the Diamond Head Classic in Hawaii and the Dec. 31 Gonzaga game at Cintas Center.
• Xavier made its sixth straight NCAA Tournament appearance in 2011, one of only 12 schools that can say that. Xavier has made 10 of the last 11 NCAA Tournaments.
• Xavier has graduated each of the last 83 men’s basketball players that have played as seniors, a streak which dates back to 1986.