Men's Basketball Team Looks To Bounce Back With Home Contest Vs. Wofford On Saturday
Dec. 20, 2012
Xavier University Musketeers (7-3, 0-0 A-10)
Wofford College Terriers (5-6, 0-1 Southern)
Sat., Dec. 22, 2012 at 2:00 p.m. ET
Cintas Center (10,250)
Television: FOX Sports Ohio with play-by-play from Brad Johansen and analysis from former Musketeer captain Steve Wolf (Xavier ‘83). Jim Day hosts the “Musketeers Live” half-hour pre-game show at 1:30 p.m.
The X’s And O’s
• Xavier, 7-3, fell to No. 11 Cincinnati 60-45 on Wednesday at U.S. Bank Arena despite leading 24-22 at halftime. Senior Travis Taylor led Xavier with a double-double, 12 points and 10 rebounds. He was XU’s only double-figure scorer.
• Xavier’s next game after Wofford is Dec. 29 at Tennessee. That begins a two-game road trip that also takes XU to Wake Forest on Jan. 2 for the Skip Prosser Classic.
• Xavier freshman Semaj Christon leads Xavier in scoring (14.7 ppg.), assists (5.2 apg.) and steals (1.3 spg.). Christon is a two-time Atlantic 10 Conference Rookie of the Week selection.
• Xavier sophomore Justin Martin, who has scored in double figures in eight of his nine games played this season, is third on the team in scoring at 11.0 ppg. and is third in rebounding at 5.1 rpg., while shooting 56.7 percent from the field.
• Xavier junior Isaiah Philmore, a Towson transfer who became eligible in the fourth game of the season, has averaged 8.4 points and 7.4 rebounds over the last five games, including his first XU double-double with 11 points and 10 rebounds vs. Vanderbilt. For the season, Philmore is second on the team in rebounding at 5.9 rpg.
• Xavier sophomore Dee Davis is second on the team in scoring at 11.4 ppg. and is second in assists at 3.9 apg.
• Xavier senior Travis Taylor is XU’s rebound leader at 6.8 rpg., while scoring 10.3 ppg. following his double-double effort (12 points and 10 rebounds) vs. Cincinnati.
• Xavier fourth-year head coach Chris Mack is 80-33 (.708) overall as Xavier’s head coach. Mack led Xavier to the NCAA Tournament in each of his first three seasons, including the NCAA Sweet 16 in 2010 and 2012.
• Xavier is one of only four teams that have made the NCAA Sweet 16 four times in the last five years (2008-12): Kansas, Michigan State, North Carolina and Xavier. No team has made all of the last five Sweet 16s. Xavier is one of only eight schools that have made at least the last seven straight NCAA Tournaments.
• Xavier is ranked 11th in the nation in the latest NCAA Graduation Success Rate at 97 percent. Xavier men’s basketball was among 14 XU programs at 100 percent.
• Xavier has graduated each of the last 88 men’s basketball players that have played as seniors, a streak which dates back to 1986.