No. 10/9 Xavier Takes 7-0 Record Into Matchup With Ohio on Wednesday
Dec. 9, 2008
No. 10/9 Xavier University Musketeers (7-0)
Ohio University Bobcats (4-3)
Wednesday, December 10, 2008 at 7:30 p.m. ET
Cintas Center (10,250) • Xavier University Campus
Television: Fox Sports Ohio with play-by-play from Brad Johansen and analysis from former Musketeer captain Steve Wolf (Xavier ‘83). The pre-game show
“Musketeers Live” airs from 7-7:30 p.m. and will be hosted by Ray Crawford.
Radio: 700 WLW-AM with play-by-play from XU Hall of Famer and former Musketeer standout Joe Sunderman (‘79). Analysis will be provided by Xavier Hall of Famer and XU all-time leading scorer Byron Larkin (‘88).
Next for X: The Skyline Chili Crosstown Shootout at Cincinnati on Saturday.
The X’s and O’s
• Xavier Musketeers, 7-0, have moved up to ninth in the ESPN/USA Today Coaches Poll and 10th in the Associated Press Poll this week. XU was 14th in both the Associated Press Poll and the ESPN/USA Today Coaches Poll last week.
• Xavier’s 7-0 start is tied for the third-best start in Xavier history and the best since the school-record 10-0 start of the 1996-97 season. XU also started 7-0 in the 1955-56 and 1927-28 seasons. XU started the 1992-93 season at 8-0. XU’s 7-0 start is the best start ever under fifth-year head coach Sean Miller.
• Xavier senior B.J. Raymond earned Atlantic 10 Conference Player of the Week honors this week after scoring a career-high 32 points in the win over Auburn, while setting career highs for three-pointers (7-of-9) and total field goals (10-of-13). Raymond hit 6-of-8 from behind the arc in the win over Auburn in the 2007-08 season.
• Xavier junior Derrick Brown scored a career-high 23 points in the win over Miami (Ohio), a fact that’s even more impressive considering XU scored a season-low 60 points in its 60-53 win over the RedHawks.
• Xavier senior C.J. Anderson was named MVP of the Puerto Rico Tip-Off. XU won the O’Reilly Auto Parts Puerto Rico Tip-Off Championship with wins over Missouri, Virginia Tech and then-No. 13 Memphis from Nov. 20-23 in San Juan, P.R.
• Xavier fifth-year head coach Sean Miller picked up his 100th career win last Wednesday night against Auburn. Miller is 100-39 (.719) in five seasons at the helm. Miller has moved into third place on XU’s all-time wins list for head coaches.
• Xavier head coach Sean Miller and Ohio first-year head coach John Groce were both on Thad Matta’s staff at Xavier from 2001-04.
• Xavier enters the Ohio game with a 14-game home court winning streak. In fact, Xavier has won 28 of its last 29 games at Cintas Center with the only setback being against then-No. 12 Tennessee last December.
• Xavier is one of only nine schools that have made the NCAA Tournament Elite Eight multiple times in the last five years. XU made its third straight NCAA appearance in 2008. XU has won at least 20 games in three straight seasons and 11 times in 12 years.