Musketeers Prepare for Showdown with Volunteers
Complete Game Notes (PDF)
Xavier University Musketeers (2-2)
Saturday, December 11, 2004 at 4:30 p.m.
2004-05 Regular Season Game #5
SITE: Thompson-Boling Arena (24,535)
• Xavier has not played a game since the last day of November (Nov. 30).
• Xavier’s next game after today’s game against Tennessee will be next Saturday at Cintas Center against Mississippi State. Xavier will not play a game next week due to semester exams.
• The win over Oakland was the regular season coaching debut for first-year Xavier head coach Sean Miller, who turned 36 on November 17th. Miller is the 16th men’s basketball head coach in Xavier history.
• Xavier returned no double-figure scorers from last year’s team that reached the 2004 NCAA Tournament “Elite Eight.” Through the first three games XU has only two players (Brian Thornton at 13.8 ppg. and Justin Cage at 10.5 ppg.) that are averaging in double figures in scoring. Three other XU players are averaging between 9.0 ppg. and 9.8 ppg.
• Junior Brian Thornton is averaging a “double-double” through four games. He leads Xavier in scoring (13.8 ppg.), rebounding (10.0 rpg.) and field goal percentage (.706). He is bidding to become one of only two Xavier players to average a “double-double” in the last 10 seasons; 2003 National Player David West did it as a sophomore and a senior.
• Junior forward Brian Thornton, a transfer from Vanderbilt, knows the SEC very well. Thornton was named to the Southeastern Conference All-Freshman Team for the 2001-02 season. Thornton started 40 games in two seasons for Vandy.
• Xavier is scheduled to make at least 22 television appearances during the regular season, including today’s game that will be seen on FSN Ohio and the Sunshine Network.
XAVIER PROBABLE STARTERS (2-2)