Freshman Semaj Christon is A-10 Player of the Week for a second straight week.
Dec. 4, 2012
Xavier University Musketeers (6-1)
vs. Vanderbilt University Commodores (2-4)
Thur., Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:30 p.m. ET
XU’s Cintas Center (10,250) in Cincinnati
Television: ESPNU with play-by-play from Dave O’Brien and analysis from Mark Adams.
Radio: 55KRC-AM with play-by-play from XU Hall of Famer and former Musketeer standout Joe Sunderman (‘79). Analysis will be provided by Xavier Hall of Famer and XU all-time leading scorer Byron Larkin (‘88).
The X’s And O’s
• Xavier, 6-1, won its third straight game with a 63-57 victory at Purdue on Saturday. Freshman Semaj Christon scored a career-high 25 points on 8-of-12 shooting from the field and 8-of-8 shooting from the free-throw line to go with four rebounds, four assists and three steals to lead Xavier in his first true road game as a Musketeer. For his efforts, Christon was named Atlantic 10 Conference Rookie of the Week for the second straight week.
• Xavier, which won at Vanderbilt last season, has won nine of its last 10 games against the SEC against five different SEC teams since the 2007-08 season.
• Xavier sophomore Dee Davis is second on the team in scoring at 13.0 ppg. and in assists at 4.0 apg. Davis scored a career-high 22 points to go with a career-high and XU sophomore record 15 assists in Xavier’s win over Fairleigh Dickinson on Nov. 9.
• Xavier’s has four players averaging in double figures in scoring: freshman Semaj Christon (16.0 ppg.), sophomore Dee Davis (13.0 ppg.), sophomore Justin Martin (12.3 ppg.) and senior Jeff Robinson (10.0 ppg.). Senior Travis Taylor is at 9.7 ppg.
• Xavier sophomore Justin Martin is the only Musketeer that has scored in double figures in every game this season. Martin is third on the team in scoring at 12.3 ppg. and is second in rebounding at 5.6 rpg., while shooting 58.0 percent from the field.
• Xavier junior Isaiah Philmore played his first regular season games for XU in the last four games. The Towson transfer has averaged 9.0 points and 6.5 rebounds over the last two games.
• Xavier fourth-year head coach Chris Mack is 79-31 (.718) overall as the Xavier head coach and now stands ninth on XU’s all-time wins list behind eighth-place Bob Staak (88 wins in six seasons from 1979-85). Mack led Xavier to the NCAA Tournament in each of his first three seasons, including the NCAA Sweet 16 in 2010 and 2012.
• Xavier is one of only four teams that have made the NCAA Sweet 16 four times in the last five years (2008-12): Kansas, Michigan State, North Carolina and Xavier. No team has made all of the last five Sweet 16s. Xavier is one of only eight schools that have made at least seven straight NCAA Tournament appearances, including 2012: Duke, Gonzaga, Kansas, Marquette, Michigan State, Texas, Wisconsin and Xavier.
• Xavier’s men’s basketball program is ranked 21st in the 2012 rankings released by Basketball Times.
• Xavier is ranked 11th in the nation in the latest NCAA Graduation Success Rate at 97 percent. Xavier men’s basketball was among 14 XU programs at 100 percent.
• Xavier has graduated each of the last 88 men’s basketball players that have played as seniors, a streak which dates back to 1986.