Men's Basketball Team Hosts Kent State On Friday Night
Dec. 2, 2009
Xavier University Musketeers (4-2) vs.
Kent State University Golden Flashes (5-2)
Friday, December 4, 2009 at 7:30 p.m. ET
Xavier University Campus • Cincinnati, Ohio
COMPLETE GAME NOTES/STATS PACKAGE IN A PDF
Television: FOX Sports Ohio with play-by-play from Brad Johansen and analysis from former Musketeer captain Steve Wolf (Xavier ‘83). Ray Crawford hosts the half-hour “Musketeers Live” pre-game show beginning at 7 p.m.
Radio: 700 WLW-AM with play-by-play from XU Hall of Famer and former Musketeer standout Joe Sunderman (‘79). Analysis will be provided by Xavier Hall of Famer and XU all-time leading scorer Byron Larkin (‘88).
Next for X: Xavier travels to Kansas State for a game on Tuesday, December 8.
Xavier Media Information: Contact Associate Athletic Director for Media
Relations Tom Eiser -- email: firstname.lastname@example.org, office: 513-745-3124,
cell: 513-382-5565, fax: 513-745-2825.
The X’s and O’s
• Xavier hosts Kent State but then must hit the road again to play at Kansas State on Tuesday.
• Xavier, 4-2, finished 1-2 at the Old Spice Classic from Nov. 26-29 at The Milk House in Lake Buena Vista, Fla. Xavier defeated Creighton (80-67), while losing to Marquette (71-61) and Baylor (69-64). Free-throw shooting was one of the big issues in Florida as XU hit just 54.5 percent (30-of-55) from the free-throw line for the tournament, including 11-of-21 (.524) in the five-point loss to Baylor.
• Xavier sophomore Jordan Crawford leads Xavier in scoring at 18.5 ppg. It’s early but, to put the numbers in perspective, Xavier has not had a leading scorer average 17 ppg. or more since National Player of the Year David West scored 20.1 ppg. as a senior in the 2002-03 season.
• Xavier’s lone senior, Jason Love, has recorded three double-doubles this season, including a career-high 21 points on 9-of-11 shooting from the field, a career-high and Old Spice Classic tournament record 19 rebounds and a career-high tying five blocks versus Marquette on Nov. 26. Love leads the team in rebounding at 11.0 rpg. and is second on the team in scoring at 11.2 ppg.
• Xavier senior Jason Love leads the team in rebounding at 11.0 rpg. Love is trying to become just the second XU player in 15 years to grab 10 rpg. or more in a season. The only other XU player to do that over the past 15 seasons was 2003 National Player of the Year David West, who averaged 11.8 rpg. as a senior and 10.9 rpg. as a sophomore.
• Xavier won its third straight Atlantic 10 Conference Regular Season title last season. XU made its fourth straight NCAA Tournament appearance in 2009 and its eighth in the last nine years, including the NCAA Sweet 16 this past season (2009) and the Elite Eight in 2004 and 2008.