Xavier Heads to Sunshine State for Showdown with Miami
Complete Game Notes (PDF)
Xavier University Musketeers (1-1)
Saturday, November 27, 2004 at 7:30 p.m.
• Xavier does have a couple connections to the Miami Heat, the regular residents of American Airlines Arena. 1994 Xavier graduate Brian Grant played four seasons in Miami before being traded this past offseason to the L.A. Lakers. Xavier head coach Sean Miller coached with Miami Heat head coach Stan Van Gundy at Wisconsin in the 1992- 93 season.
• Xavier’s last trip to Florida was successful. XU’s last trip to the Sunshine State was for the 2004 NCAA Tournament First and Second Round games at the TD Waterhouse Centre in Orlando, Florida. XU defeated Louisville in the first round and Mississippi State in the second round.
• Xavier defeated Oakland in the season opener. The Oakland game was the regular season coaching debut for first-year Xavier head coach Sean Miller, who turned 36 on November 17th. Miller is the 16th men’s basketball head coach in Xavier history.
• Xavier returned no double-figure scorers from last year’s team that reached the 2004 NCAA Tournament “Elite Eight.” Through the first two games XU has no one that is averaging in double figures this season. Last year’s three double-figure scorers are now playing professional basketball: Lionel Chalmers (L.A. Clippers), Romain Sato (San Antonio Spurs) and Anthony Myles (pro ball in Europe).
• Xavier is young but has had some experience in the
starting lineup for the first two games despite the
fact that the only two returning starters from last
season are sophomores Justin Cage and Justin
Doellman. Junior Dedrick Finn came into this
season with 49 career starts, junior Brian Thornton
had 40 career starts (at Vanderbilt) and senior Keith
Jackson had 10 starts, although he had not started
a game since his sophomore season.