Xavier Men's Basketball Heads To Florida For The Old Spice Classic
Nov. 23, 2009
Xavier University Musketeers vs.
Marquette University Golden Eagles
Thur., Nov. 26, 2009 at 2 p.m. ET
of Sports Complex in Orlando, Fla.
Television: ESPN2 and ESPN360.com with play-by-play from Lou Canellis and analysis from Len Elmore.
Radio: 700 WLW-AM with play-by-play from XU Hall of Famer and former Musketeer standout Joe Sunderman (‘79). Analysis will be provided by Xavier Hall of Famer and XU all-time leading scorer Byron Larkin (‘88).
Next for X: Xavier plays either Michigan or Creighton in the second round of the Old Spice Classic on Friday, November 27 in Orlando, Fla.
Xavier Media Information: Contact Associate Athletic Director for Media
Relations Tom Eiser -- email: firstname.lastname@example.org, office: 513-745-3124, cell: 513-382-5565, fax: 513-745-2825.
The X’s and O’s
• Xavier, 3-0, is coming off back-to-back 100-point offensive games. XU defeated Sacred Heart, 105-65, on Saturday and defending Mid-American Conference Regular Season Champion Bowling Green, 101-57, last Tuesday.
• Xavier has enjoyed success in recent years in big-time neutral site regular season tournaments. Last season Xavier won the Puerto Rico Tip-Off Classic with wins over Missouri, Virginia Tech and defending National Runner-up Memphis.
• Xavier sophomore Jordan Crawford has earned Atlantic 10 Conference Player of the Week honors. Crawford averaged 25.0 points, 4.5 rebounds, 4.0 assists, 2.0 steals and had no turnovers in the two wins this past week (Bowling Green and Sacred Heart), while shooting 69.0 percent from the field, including 72.7 percent from three-point range. Crawford leads XU at 21.3 ppg. while shooting 61 percent from the field.
• Xavier’s lone senior, Jason Love, has recorded back-to-back double-doubles with 14 points and a career-high 15 rebounds against Sacred Heart and 12 points and 12 rebounds against Bowling Green. He leads the team in rebounding at 11.7 rpg. and is second on the team in scoring at 12.7 ppg.
• Xavier has five players averaging in double figures in scoring after three games, including a freshman (Mark Lyons at 11.3 ppg.), three sophomores (first-year sophomore Jordan Crawford at a team-high 21.3 ppg., Terrell Holloway at 10.0 ppg. and Brad Redford at 10.7 ppg.) and senior Jason Love at 12.7 ppg.
• Xavier first-year head coach Chris Mack, the 17th head coach in program history, has gotten off to a 3-0 start to his XU head coaching career. Mack’s former mentor, the late Skip Prosser, began his XU career in the 1994-95 season with a 3-0 mark. The last Xavier head coach to start his XU career with a longer streak than three wins was Pete Gillen in 1985-86
• Xavier won its third straight Atlantic 10 Conference Regular Season title last season. XU made its fourth straight NCAA Tournament appearance in 2009 and its eighth in the last nine years, including the NCAA Sweet 16 this past season (2009) and the Elite Eight in 2004 and 2008.